Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Absent for final year exam due to illness

Options
  • 16-05-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I am a final year student who was due to sit his last exam today. However since yesterday morning I have been very sick with a vomiting bug and diarrhoea (sorry for details) have also had headaches all day. As a result, I was unable to sit my exam today on advice from my GP.

I have emailed the chair of law and government who told me that I will have to submit an extenuating circumstances form pending review.

I am very anxious and worried as I am
    currently on a 2.1 and my previous exams had gone well.
    So I am Just enquiring as to the likelihood of my deferral? And if you know from any past cases that I will be allowed sit my exam as a first attempt in August.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

If you get a doctor's cert for today then it should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

Dave0JV wrote: »
    If you get a doctor's cert for today then it should be no problem

Are they strict about it do you think? Won't get to the doctor until tomorrow and I'll probably feel better by then haha

It's required when you're submitting an extenuating circumstances form as a result of an illness I believe. If you're missing the exam on your GPs advice it shouldn't be a problem to get a cert from them.

[Link]https://www4.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/registry/pdfs/r30_extenuating_circumstances.pdf[/link] See the section "Details regarding Extenuating Circumstances"

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

Dave0JV wrote: »
    It's required when you're submitting an extenuating circumstances form as a result of an illness I believe. If you're missing the exam on your GPs advice it shouldn't be a problem to get a cert from them.

[Link]https://www4.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/registry/pdfs/r30_extenuating_circumstances.pdf[/link] See the section "Details regarding Extenuating Circumstances"

Quick update,
    Handed in extenuating circumstances form with doctors note. It was marked illness and signed by lecturer and dropped into registry. Do you know if that means it should be deferred or is it does it have to go to an appeals board now?

I believe it will go to the Progression and Awards board, who will decide whether to mark you ill for that exam. Given you've supplied a doctor's note as evidence of the extenuating circumstances there should be no problems there and you should be able to sit the exam when the repeats come around. If they decide not to mark you as ill or deferred (which is I would say is highly unlikely), you can take that decision to the appeals board, who can overturn it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement