Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cubicle shed

Options
  • 16-05-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Wel, I am going building a shed which is 93ftlength x 64ftwidth with a 9 ft tank. The whole shed will be a tank for slurry covered with corbetts dairy grip slats. There will be 60 cubicle beds placed on top of slats. The question i have is how am i going to be able to put up the shed itself. Where will i put the h-irons? any comments welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Where will i put the h-irons? any comments welcome[/quote]

A portal frame, wide span though.
    Did you get planning, any drawings or were you talking to any shed companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    Where will i put the h-irons? any comments welcome

A portal frame, wide span though.
    Did you get planning, any drawings or were you talking to any shed companies?[/quote]

Alternatively, you could support then off the dividing walls of the tanks, they'd be thicker than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eoinjd

No not looking for planning, a portal frame would be dearer than a usual shed. I was thinking of putting 10ft h irons into the floor of the 9ft tank and then putting up the spine walls. Then bolt on the rest of the h-iron. This would surely be secure enough. But the problem is then with the slats there would have to be a notch cut out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

eoinjd wrote: »
    Wel, I am going building a shed which is 93ftlength x 64ftwidth with a 9 ft tank. The whole shed will be a tank for slurry covered with corbetts dairy grip slats. There will be 60 cubicle beds placed on top of slats. The question i have is how am i going to be able to put up the shed itself. Where will i put the h-irons? any comments welcome
    No not looking for planning, a portal frame would be dearer than a usual shed. I was thinking of putting 10ft h irons into the floor of the 9ft tank and then putting up the spine walls. Then bolt on the rest of the h-iron. This would surely be secure enough. But the problem is then with the slats there would have to be a notch cut out of them.

Putting the uprights into the slurry tank? Won't the slurry rot the metal over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eoinjd

THe concrete would be surrounding the iron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

Pre-cast cubicle beds on top of slats? Usual approach here is to support
    stanchions on spine wall of tank - you'll need 150mm on either side of stanchion for slats so wall will be 500mm minimum in width.
    Cutting a notch out of slats is not a good idea as you will have re-bar exposed.

Building without planning is fine but you could run into trouble if
    - A neighbour reports you
    - The council become aware of it
    - You apply to the bank for finance and want to put the farm up as collateral. In this case you will require a certificate of planning compliance, which obviously won't be forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Pre-cast cubicle beds on top of slats? Usual approach here is to support
    stanchions on spine wall of tank - you'll need 150mm on either side of stanchion for slats so wall will be 500mm minimum in width.
    Cutting a notch out of slats is not a good idea as you will have re-bar exposed.

Building without planning is fine but you could run into trouble if
    - A neighbour reports you
    - The council become aware of it
    - You apply to the bank for finance and want to put the farm up as collateral. In this case you will require a certificate of planning compliance, which obviously won't be forthcoming.

On planning are agricultural buildings not exempt if certain conditions are met such as total size including sheds for similar purposes and distance from nearest house excluding the farmhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

On planning are agricultural buildings not exempt if certain conditions are met such as total size including sheds for similar purposes and distance from nearest house excluding the farmhouse.

You're right there you can apply for an exemption but the animal house would
    have to be under 200m2 and on a green field site (OP's shed is 553m2).

Also to apply for an exemption - you first have to draw up the plans and then submit to the council. As the OP said he has no plans so I knew this wasn't happening.

I know plenty of farmers have sheds up with no PP and it causes them no problems, OP will prob be fine too I'm sure..

Advertisement