Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopeful future parent

Options
  • 16-05-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just hoping somebody here might have some info for me on same sex parenting, particularly conception, in Ireland. I've had a look online but cannot find and solid info, but I could be searching for the wrong stuff.

I am in a long term same sex relationship (FF) and although we don't intend to have kids right now, we almost certainly will want to in the next five years. I just want to educate myself as much as I can because at the moment I am totally clueless about it!

We both adore kids and would love our own in the future, we would also both like to carry.

As I said, I am totally clueless about our options and costing etc. And any info or even a steer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OhDuvv

Im only a young lad and have no clue about this sort of thing, but I hope everything works out for ye in time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

OhDuvv wrote: »
    Im only a young lad and have no clue about this sort of thing, but I hope everything works out for ye in time :)

Thank you :) we have plenty of time, both only mid twenties but we would just like to be aware of our options. Especially from a financial point of view. We may need to be saving now for all I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

Hi, I couldn't read and run with out posting :)

Myself and my wife (ff couple) have been in the trying to conceive process for three years now and have unfortunately reached the end of her journey after a loss earlier this year.

It's a very tough journey and its an expensive one, however if it is what you both want then go for it :)

Cost wise it depends on what route you are going, the initial investigations and meeting with a consultant to discuss options cost us 400e. If you head down the iui route that's 900e a go plus the cost of donor sperm which can cost anything from 350e up depending on the quality.
    Ivf is more expensive 4500e for the basic and an extra 500 if you use icsi, again you have to factor the cost of the donor in on top of this.

Drugs etc are supposed to cost anything up to 144 per month if they are included in the drugs payment scheme but you can be charged extra if they aren't on it.

Other issues we came across was time off work for scans and treatment etc as you need to be pretty flexible in the two weeks up until transfer.

I wish you both the best of luck on your journey as we are now starting again with myself so we have started saving again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Thank you so much for your reply and info.

First off, I am very sorry to hear about your loss, I can't imagine how heartbreaking that is.

Would you mind if I DM'd you with a couple of questions?

No pressure and I appreciate your response so far very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

Thank you so much for your reply and info.

First off, I am very sorry to hear about your loss, I can't imagine how heartbreaking that is.

Would you mind if I DM'd you with a couple of questions?

No pressure and I appreciate your response so far very much.

That would be no problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

So far we've spent about €4,000 between consultants fees (with a discount!), IUI fees and the "miscellaneous" fees. We've had one unsuccessful round :( but we're going to try again in a couple of months. The consultant is pretty confident I should be able to conceive via IUI so we'll stick to that for the time being. It's such an odd and unsettling situation. Friends went the US route and all in it cost about €12,000 but it appeared to be very stressful. We had our hearts set on the fostering/adoption route but unfortunately our circumstances made us unsuitable. We're based in the south of Ireland if you have any queries relating to the process. I hope it works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PandaSox

Not sure if you're still interested in hearing answers but thought I would post what myself and my gf did. We went down the route of home insemination, we bought donor sperm from Cryos in Denmark and had it shipped here. Depending on the quality it can cost from 1000e - 3000e per go. We went with the low to mid range price as the donor was completely anonymous but the quality (mot 40) ICI was high and it worked on the 3rd go, the first 2 tries we used (mot 20) IUI and it didn't work. We also tracked ovulation cycles 6 months prior using ovulation strips, we bought 50 for about 10e on amazon. Overall we roughly spent about 5000e.

So far we've spent about €4,000 between consultants fees (with a discount!), IUI fees and the "miscellaneous" fees. We've had one unsuccessful round :( but we're going to try again in a couple of months. The consultant is pretty confident I should be able to conceive via IUI so we'll stick to that for the time being. It's such an odd and unsettling situation. Friends went the US route and all in it cost about €12,000 but it appeared to be very stressful. We had our hearts set on the fostering/adoption route but unfortunately our circumstances made us unsuitable. We're based in the south of Ireland if you have any queries relating to the process. I hope it works out :)

This thread bump was a nice blast from the past, 14 weeks pregnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

Congrats! I'm happy to hear you got what you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Myself and my gf are looking to start a family. We have a friend of mine who would like to donate his sperm but not sure which clinic to approach? Any recommendations or stories appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wish all you couples well in your quest to become parents. :) I do notice that all the couples on the thread are F-F couples. Any stories of gay male couples here adopting or having children through surrogacy?

It does seem like a very expensive and difficult process. Personally at my stage in life (42) I believe that children will not be on the cards for me and that saddens me a bit as I love children. But I do have a nephew and niece that I adore. :)

But I sincerely wish you all the best. When I was in my 20s, the idea of same-sex couples marrying, let alone becoming parents would have been inconceivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mubre

Hi, we are on our 5th cycle and 2nd IUI, just starting our two week wait now! Fingers crossed! :)

Best of luck for you and your partner Mubre.

Advertisement