Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating but want to keep my number

Options
  • 15-05-2017 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi
    I am off in 3 weeks for a many years to Canada but want to keep my num I've had for 20yrs. Any advice how best to do this? I have a dual SIM phone with the id on 30 day bill. Want to move to cheapest option possible
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which provider are you with?
    They may a forum here you can ask in
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

newwan wrote: »
    Hi
    I am off in 3 weeks for a many years to Canada but want to keep my num I've had for 20yrs. Any advice how best to do this? I have a dual SIM phone with the id on 30 day bill. Want to move to cheapest option possible
    Ta

The answer depends on how much you intend to use it. Roaming charges outside of the EU (eg Canada) can be high, and may get higher as operators try to recoup the losses they will make on the new EU roaming regulations.

If you intend to keep the Irish number so that your Irish friends can continue you call you on their inclusive Irish minutes, then you should think about porting to a Plan and using a Phone that supports WiFi calling. This will ensure that your phone continues to work on it's home network while in Canada, providing you are in WiFi coverage. You won't get any roaming charges, and your friends in Ireland won't have to call internationally. Effectively any WiFi coverage zone turns into an island of Irish mobile coverage when you are abroad.

Phones that currently support WiFi Calling are Samsung Galaxy 6 upwards, and iPhone 5s upwards. The Irish operators that currently support WiFi calling are Eir & Meteor, on their bill-pay plans.

If you don't intend to use the phone, and you just want to keep the number for when you return to Ireland, you might be better to just get a pre-pay SIM in your Dual-SIM phone, and top it up once every 6 months - as other posters have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I once had tesco mobile number, and stopped using it.
    After nearly 2 years, sim was still active, and I was able to receive calls (outgoing calls have been disabled).
    I can only assume if I topped up, it would work again.

Vodafone, Meteor in my experience expire after 6 months, and they usually give you a month or something if I remember right for receiving call. If you don't top up, it will be gone.

Advertisement