Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany, June, solo, first-visit

Options
  • 15-05-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I shall be visiting Germany 1st week of June.
    My enquiry regards transport.

Hamburg hbf to Hamburg
    Hamburg hbf to Schwerin
    Schwerin hbf to Berlin

Is the best option to purchase a U/Bahn card ? ( Probe 25 card? )

I shall be visiting destinations and surrounding areas using trains, buses etc.
    Is there a card that covers all modes of public transport? Unlimited? If one does exist, how much?

Any info would be much appreciated. ;):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm a great fan of day tickets in cities in Germany, as you buy the ticket the once and after 2 or 3 journies its paid for.
    So for Hamburg just get a Hamburg day ticket. No idea what its called, but you'll figure it out at the ticket machine. I'd bet a pack of polos it'd cost about 6 or 7 euros.
    As for Hamburg to Schwerin, theres a day ticket called the Mecklenburg Vorpommern ticket which also covers all local transport in Hamburg city which borders on Mecklenburg Vorpommern state , and at 23 euro (€5 a head for subsequent people) its cheaper than a point to point ticket.
    That ticket can also bring you over the whole way to Poland. The one restriction is that you can only travel after 9am on a weekday, but no restriction at weekends.
    https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/angebotsberatung/regio/laender-tickets/pdfs/2017/mdb_248249_040517_geltungsbereich_meckpomm_ticket.pdf
    From what I can see that doesnt cover Schwerin town, but thats only 5.50 for a day ticket anyhow
    http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/tarif/tarifubersicht/index.html

For Schwerin-Berlin theres a special point to point ticket, the "Stadt land meer" ticket for €27 which covers connections from the Baltic sea to Berlin centre. For getting round Berlin you'd then need a local ticket of some sort.
    https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/angebotsberatung/regio/regionale_tickets/2017/mdb_237567_stadt_land_meer_karte.pdf

its a great part of the world and really scenic, but just a small warning that you'll need a little of that German you learnt at school as the commie education system in that part of the world taught russian rather than English back in the days, and the English skills of the population is not very extensive. Might also be worth making sure they know youre Urish and not a brit or american just to save on any sh1te about trump or brexit (albeit they are so insular they mightnt know Ireland is a country!).

Advertisement