Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an insurance company charge disabled more for auto insurance?

Options
  • 15-05-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm living in Dublin and a below the knee amputee. Driving 37 years. I need a car and was wondering is illegal for an auto insurance company to charge a disabled person more in Ireland?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi Keano12345

I am also a BKA and I had the same question. I was told by the driving instructor at the NRH that they may try, but it would be called 'loading' which they can not apply in this circumstance. In fact, depending on which leg it is you may not need to tell them at all. I had to disclose it because it's my right leg which left me needing to install a new accelerator pedal that counts as a modification.

Also had the premium paid the year of my accident forwarded to cover the premium when I began driving again.

Advertisement