Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty Points bring applied per licence instead of as per vehicle

Options
  • 15-05-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

It's only come to my attention when renewing car policy that as the OH has 3 penalty points received in their car and on their insurance policy I get loaded on my policy as OH is named driver on that policy, even though I have no penalty points.

We are one bunch of idiots in this country putting up with that crap.

Thought they used to give breathing space on up to 4 penalty points? Is the above the new norm?

No wonder everyone hates insurance companies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Someone who is on your insurance policy has been given penalty points. It makes perfect sense that this would affect your renewal quote. Really don't see the consumer issue here. Also don't see any truth in the "everyone hates insurance companies " comment but that's another conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Not to defend insurance companies, who are robbing so and sos, but I don't see the issue here. You're insuring a driver with points on their license, doesn't matter what vehicle they were received in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't see why you wouldn't expect a named driver, with penalty points, on your policy to affect your premium.

Where is the logic in applying points to a vehicle rather than a driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not to defend insurance companies, who are robbing so and sos, but I don't see the issue here. You're insuring a driver with points on their license, doesn't matter what vehicle they were received in.

Yeh I get that, just seems like a total rip off, that system is balony, particularly when premium has gone up by over 50% and 9+ years of a NCB :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

You're totally and completely wrong.
    Another thread won't change that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Did you look at what the difference would be if your OH went fully comp on their policy and removed themselves as a named driver on yours? Would be interesting to see if any saving could be made overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I'm lost, did you think that your OH actions should be ignored ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She's on your policy, it's really that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

vicwatson wrote: »
    Posted in consumer issues but prob should have posted here (only found this later on)

It's only come to my attention when renewing car policy that as the OH has 3 penalty points received in their car and on their insurance policy I get loaded on my policy as OH is named driver on that policy, even though I have no penalty points.

We are one bunch of idiots in this country putting up with that crap.

Thought they used to give breathing space on up to 4 penalty points? Is the above the new norm?

No wonder everyone hates insurance companies.

Eh, you alert them to the fact that he is driving the car on a not infrequent basis so it's hardly surprising that they would apply a part loading. Might be worth considering whether he has "driving other cars" cover, whether it applies and whether it's sufficient. People were often recommended to get their mother, girlfriend etc added to get a reduction. Not really surprising that it works both ways, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

As per other thread...

Someone who is on your insurance policy has been given penalty points. It makes perfect sense that this would affect your renewal quote. Really don't see the consumer issue here. Also don't see any truth in the "everyone hates insurance companies " comment but that's another conversation.

How is it a rip-off? You've let the insurance company know that someone on your policy has been deemed to have committed an offense while driving. They are a greater insurance risk and, as such, are costing more to insure. That's how insurance works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Simply shop around. Some allow 3 points others don't.

AIG offer very good rates for couples.

s15r330 wrote: »
    You're totally and completely wrong.
    Another thread won't change that!

Yes yes, calm down.

I was simply pointing out I found a more appropriate forum, which I didn't see in the first place - thanks Dudara

It wasn't me that got the points BTW ;):P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

But it's your policy. If you take them off the policy then it won't affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It wasn't me that got the points BTW ;):P
    Doesn't matter. The car is being regularly driven by somebody with an established record of poor driving. Therefore, the likelihood that the car will be involved in an incident giving rise to a claim is greater than if this were not so. Therefore, the cost of insuring the car goes up. Not pleasant for the owner of the vehicle, but it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread from CI and this from Insurance merged.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. The car is being regularly driven by somebody with an established record of poor driving. Therefore, the likelihood that the car will be involved in an incident giving rise to a claim is greater than if this were not so. Therefore, the cost of insuring the car goes up. Not pleasant for the owner of the vehicle, but it makes sense.

"An established record of poor driving", 3 points for doing 8 kph over the limit. Once.:rolleyes:

And it was the OH's car that they got the points in, and they've got their own policy yet simply because they are named driver on my car I get to pay the increased premium.

Ins companies used to allow 4 points without loading, now they are using it as a cash cow imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

"An established record of poor driving", 3 points for doing 8 kph over the limit. Once.:rolleyes:

And it was the OH's car that they got the points in, and they've got their own policy yet simply because they are named driver on my car I get to pay the increased premium.

Ins companies used to allow 4 points without loading, now they are using it as a cash cow imo.

You get points on the licence not the vehicle, so it doesn't matter what you where caught in it affects whatever you drive. I got caught speeding on my brothers motorbike. I got 2 points for 3 years which affected my car policy, nothing happened to my brother once he signed the notice that I was using his bike.

Some used to give a discount for no points others allowed 4 or less. It seems like you had a discount for no points which has now been lost

• Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He's part of your policy so of course him having penalty points might effect the price of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's the thing. If they incur a loading when driving their own car, why would they not incur a loading when driving yours? Do they magically become safer drivers when driving other people's cars?

You can argue about whether the actuarial evidence justifies a loading at all - I have no information about that - but, if it does, common sense suggests that the loading will follow them no matter whose car they drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

OP you can't honestly expect your Insurer to ignore the fact that your partner broke a speed restriction and got caught.

It's not a rip off, it's common sense. The points are applied to the licence not the vehicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement