Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing near Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello guys !

I introduce myself: Jessy, I'm 23 yo. I just moved from France to Cork last month, I'm looking for a job (but this isn't the point of the topic).

I fish since I was 6 years old so I'm passionate of fishing (mostly pike fishing). I fish for fun so I release all fish I catch.

I've already found some spots but only in lakes (Lough Allua and Innascara Lakes). I caught pikes on the lough Allua (14 pikes in 4 sessions but no big pike : Max length: 76cm). I use a float tube, this is easier to explore the lakes with it.

In France I used to fish in river but around Cork, most pike fishing are in lakes so I'm looking for a river not too far from Cork (max 1h/1h30 of driving). I know there is the river shannon around Limerick but it's a bit too far.

I've seen on old topics here, some people spoke about pike in the Blackwater river (Mallow/Fermoy) but I don't find any information about it.

I don't want you to give me your best spots (unless you want to :D ) but some information about pike river will be appreciate.

Other thing, if someone wants to go fishing with me, no problem I like to fish with other people (for sharing experience, etc...)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

River pike are hard to find unfortunately. Most of the deep water stretches have been taken over by Salmon & trout clubs on the Blackwater and they are the swims I used to have success on.

I haven't had a river Pike out of the Blackwater for nearly 10 years unfortunately, but if anyone knows better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JessFishing

Thank you for your answer.

You told that the clubs have taken the deep water stretches but do you still fish for pike in the Blackwater river ?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Jess just be wary on the blackwater as in you could checked by the IFI for a licensce, as the black water is mainly salmon even though your fishing for pike sone of the staff are a bit thick(some) so I'm not sure if it's the best option. What a would do is go on google earth and look for lakes and some day when you are free fish them also the more out in the country the better!

Ok thank you for the advice.

If one of you (or another person) wants to share a session with me, I'll be glad to meet an Irish fisherman because I'm fishing alone for the moment.

Jess just be wary on the blackwater as in you could checked by the IFI for a licensce, as the black water is mainly salmon even though your fishing for pike sone of the staff are a bit thick(some) so I'm not sure if it's the best option. What a would do is go on google earth and look for lakes and some day when you are free fish them also the more out in the country the better!

I don't bother fishing for Pike on the Blackwater any more as the only 'open' water is too shallow and to be honest, the salmon/trout bailiffs take too much explaining (only doing their job).

There's an old disused reservoir in Ballincollig that has a good head of decent pike. access is pretty overgrown and there's a mad cat woman who might shout at you, but the fishing is free and can be good sport.

• Advertisement

Oh ok I think I won't try the Blackwater but thanks.

I would be perfect, it's not too far from my apartment. Can you give me more details about this place please ? Where is it exactly (because on Google Maps I can see several reservoirs at Ballincolling) and how I can get access ? If you want to send details by private message instead of this public topic, that's fine.

Thank you for helping me, I really appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Ok thank you for the advice.

If one of you (or another person) wants to share a session with me, I'll be glad to meet an Irish fisherman because I'm fishing alone for the moment.
    Well Jess I'm more than happy to join ya for some fishing. I recently moved to Kerry a few months back and coming from Cavan I was shocked to hear it has no pike at all. So I'm also on for finding a few wee spots for pike in Cork, I fish a tube also, drop me a PM if ya want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well Jess I'm more than happy to join ya for some fishing. I recently moved to Kerry a few months back and coming from Cavan I was shocked to hear it has no pike at all. So I'm also on for finding a few wee spots for pike in Cork, I fish a tube also, drop me a PM if ya want.

I'm also in Kerry. I haven't fished for coarse fish for years but doesn't lough leane have a variety of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Do ya do much fishing down there? Well I was actually referring to pike, I was told Kerrys the only county in the country without pike, Lene has Ruud, perch and tench. Can't do a lot regarding the tench or ruud as your not allowed to use maggots or groundbait unfortunately

There's an old disused reservoir in Ballincollig that has a good head of decent pike. access is pretty overgrown and there's a mad cat woman who might shout at you, but the fishing is free and can be good sport.

Apparently the access has now been blocked and there's a Private Property sign erected. There always was a dispute with a crazy lady who claimed people were trespassing on her land, although the local council disputed this.

I'll try to get some more detail

• Advertisement

@Pheasant tail : Cool :) I'll send you a PM

@Beer enigma : Ok, thank you for you help !

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

I've already found some spots but only in lakes (Lough Allua and Innascara Lakes). I caught pikes on the lough Allua (14 pikes in 4 sessions but no big pike : Max length: 76cm). I use a float tube, this is easier to explore
    I wonder is there pike in the upper part of the lee river?surely if theyre in thelake(lough allua) they must be in the river?

Inchilad wrote: »
    I wonder is there pike in the upper part of the lee river?surely if theyre in thelake(lough allua) they must be in the river?

I didn't try but I think there isn't enough water, the level is low...

Thinking about this, Jones's field in Fermoy used to be free and is fairly deep, may be worth a go.

Be worth giving 'Bait all Tackle' in Fermoy a buzz - brilliant tackle shop with a wealth of local knowledge

Where is "Jone's field" ?

I'll contact them when I will be at Fermoy, thanks.

Where is "Jone's field" ?

I'll contact them when I will be at Fermoy, thanks.

It's just on the edge of Fermoy Town, literally 5 minutes drive on the opposite side of the river. Used to be free fishing even after the deep water was bought by the salmon & trout ads.

Ok thank you for the information

Advertisement