Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On ETB Course but need to leave due to Panic Attacks?

Options
  • 15-05-2017 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I need help, I've been suffering with really bad panic attacks the last few months. I was signed on with the Turas Nua, and they put me on this ETB course for computers and office stuff. I've been doing it for 10 weeks now, and I'm struggling everyday I go in, surrounded by people, the noise, everyone is much younger than I am, and it is overwhelming me, and I'm having really bad palpitations, finding it hard to go in there.

I simply can't do this course anymore, I'm struggling with so many issues but the panic attacks and anxiety are being made worse by being in this environment. The problem is if I leave, I may not get a social welfare payment for 16 weeks, as the tutor told everyone on the course, which has made my anxiety and panic even worse. Sometimes I just find it hard to leave the house, and I'm constantly struggling to keep happy and smiling, when I feel hopeless and scared inside. This course isn't for me, I've done this type of study before years ago, and I can't concentrate, I start getting dizzy, heart racing, everything starts to feel far away, and slow.

What am I going to do? I don't want to do this anymore, life is hard enough for me as it is, this course is making it worse, I want to get back to full health before facing stuff like this. I'm lost, I need help in what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You should, without any hesitation, make an emergency appointment to see your GP as soon as possible, be as open with him/her as you have been here, and take it from there. No harm either in telling one of your tutors that you are experiencing this panic. I have seen people struggling on courses who can be greatly helped by having someone give them a bit of extra time and tutoring and such help is readily available and don't have qualms about asking for it. But, first see the GP. So many people are in the same boat as yourself and help is available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I need help, I've been suffering with really bad panic attacks the last few months. I was signed on with the Turas Nua, and they put me on this ETB course for computers and office stuff. I've been doing it for 10 weeks now, and I'm struggling everyday I go in, surrounded by people, the noise, everyone is much younger than I am, and it is overwhelming me, and I'm having really bad palpitations, finding it hard to go in there.

I simply can't do this course anymore, I'm struggling with so many issues but the panic attacks and anxiety are being made worse by being in this environment. The problem is if I leave, I may not get a social welfare payment for 16 weeks, as the tutor told everyone on the course, which has made my anxiety and panic even worse. Sometimes I just find it hard to leave the house, and I'm constantly struggling to keep happy and smiling, when I feel hopeless and scared inside. This course isn't for me, I've done this type of study before years ago, and I can't concentrate, I start getting dizzy, heart racing, everything starts to feel far away, and slow.

What am I going to do? I don't want to do this anymore, life is hard enough for me as it is, this course is making it worse, I want to get back to full health before facing stuff like this. I'm lost, I need help in what to do?

Sorry your having such a hard time.
    You need to got to your GP and ask him/her to complete a SW sick cert for you. You can copy this for Turas Nua if you like.
    Complete the rest of the form and then submit it to SW.
    While your there, make an appointment to see the CWO to apply for an SWA.
    Apply for DA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

infogiver wrote: »
    You need to got to your GP and ask him/her to complete a SW sick cert for you. You can copy this for Turas Nua if you like.
    Apply for DA too.

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. One idea is to ask Turas Nua to transfer you to a National Learning Network, they are experts in delivering training to people.who.may have anxiety or other difficulties. Best of.luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MichaelDunne85

Apply for DA too.

Thank you for the information. I'm not sure if anyone will take me seriously with an anxiety and panic attacks, I have an appointment to see a doctor on Thursday as well, so do I ask them for a social welfare sick cert? I don't know how any of this works as I've never had to do this before, but my panic attacks and anxiety have never been this bad before.

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. One idea is to ask Turas Nua to transfer you to a National Learning Network, they are experts in delivering training to people.who.may have anxiety or other difficulties. Best of.luck

Thank you for replying, yeah it's been a really bad start to the year for me, and everything has been building up, I've also had a couple other health issues, nothing major but it does effect me also.

• Advertisement

Balagan wrote: »
    You should, without any hesitation, make an emergency appointment to see your GP as soon as possible, be as open with him/her as you have been here, and take it from there. No harm either in telling one of your tutors that you are experiencing this panic. I have seen people struggling on courses who can be greatly helped by having someone give them a bit of extra time and tutoring and such help is readily available and don't have qualms about asking for it. But, first see the GP. So many people are in the same boat as yourself and help is available.

I am seeing a doctor Thursday about it, I've always had anxiety and depression since I was a teenager, but this last few months have been really hard, and it's taking it's toll on me mentally and physically. Which is why this course is really hard for me to do and I can't finish it the way I am.

Thank you for replying.

Thank you for the information. I'm not sure if anyone will take me seriously with an anxiety and panic attacks, I have an appointment to see a doctor on Thursday as well, so do I ask them for a social welfare sick cert? I don't know how any of this works as I've never had to do this before, but my panic attacks and anxiety have never been this bad before.

Yes a SW sick Cert.
    Please go to your GP, your panic attacks and anxiety will be taken very seriously, it's endemic across the country at the moment, and is causing so much suffering and stress.
    Submit the SW Cert to your local office and ask to see the CWO to get a payment while your claim is being processed.

Yes a SW sick Cert.
    Please go to your GP, your panic attacks and anxiety will be taken very seriously, it's endemic across the country at the moment, and is causing so much suffering and stress.
    Submit the SW Cert to your local office and ask to see the CWO to get a payment while your claim is being processed.

Thank you, you're very helpful. I'm suppose to be back in on Thursday to my course, and it stresses me to get in any trouble for leaving a course, and I don't want to stress my family either but I will ask my doctor for the cert, and see if I can see the CWO Friday, or as soon as possible.

I'm just worried what I'm suppose to tell my tutor in an email, and why I wont be back in on Thursday. I've never turned down any job or course before, this is the first time I've had to simply because I need to put my health and mental wellbeing first. But like anyone, I worry about not having any money.

I'm wondering what I'm going to say to my tutor in the email? I'm suppose to get my payment from the ETB this Friday, but if I send the email tomorrow or Thursday, what will happen. This is what confuses me, my family depends on me and my money, and I worry about that. Like I said before, I'm seeing the doctor Thursday.

I'm wondering what I'm going to say to my tutor in the email? I'm suppose to get my payment from the ETB this Friday, but if I send the email tomorrow or Thursday, what will happen. This is what confuses me, my family depends on me and my money, and I worry about that. Like I said before, I'm seeing the doctor Thursday.

Email and thank him for all his help but point out that you are suffering terribly from stress and anxiety and feel unable to continue with the course at this moment in time.
    It's very important that you see your GP ASAP to
    1. Get medical help for your panic attacks and stress
    2. Get a SW sick Cert to submit to SW.
    As I already said, you will need to see the CWO at the SW office ASAP as well, with a copy of the SW sick Cert to sort out a payment for yourself.

• Advertisement

Quick update: I emailed my tutor, and they were good about it. What I'm wondering now though, will I get my last payment tomorrow from the ETB? It works as back dated from when we started, so I should get my payment for last week? Or what happens? I also have my appointment to see the doctor tomorrow morning. This is when I'll start to get stressed and anxious when I have to sort all this out, and get worried about money now.

Quick update: I emailed my tutor, and they were good about it. What I'm wondering now though, will I get my last payment tomorrow from the ETB? It works as back dated from when we started, so I should get my payment for last week? Or what happens? I also have my appointment to see the doctor tomorrow morning. This is when I'll start to get stressed and anxious when I have to sort all this out, and get worried about money now.

In anticipation of you going to your GP tomorrow you should ring your SW now and make an appointment to see the CWO after you see the GP.
    So you will be going to the CWO having been to the GP and having a SW Cert.
    The CWO will be able to tell you what will happen moneywise, and tell you what to do next.

In anticipation of you going to your GP tomorrow you should ring your SW now and make an appointment to see the CWO after you see the GP.
    So you will be going to the CWO having been to the GP and having a SW Cert.
    The CWO will be able to tell you what will happen money wise, and tell you what to do next.

Thanks. I've just rang, their going to ring me back and hopefully get an appointment, so see what happens. I'll just explain on the phone that I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, and that I was on a course, but my anxiety has got overwhelming so I had to leave, but am worried about what to do next. I just can't cope with everything at the moment, it really is too much, and I've had depression in the past, and I don't want to cause that to all snowball again because I chose to ignore how much my anxiety and panic attacks (which are telling me that I am pushing myself too much).

I really hope you get sorted out.
    My heart goes out to you.

I really hope you get sorted out.
    My heart goes out to you.

Thanks for being supportive.

I called the welfare officer today, and she said to get the form off my doctor, and bring it in, but she doesn't think I'll be able to get Illness Benefit, because my last job was in November 2015. I'm not sure how that works, I explained I live at home with my folks, single, no kids, so not sure what that changes. My dad is retired and my mum is disabled, but she doesn't claim anything, so I'm not sure what to expect from this place tomorrow. I'm feeling a bit nauseous about everything I've to do tomorrow.

She said I'll probably have to go back on Jobseeker's Allowance. Yeah, I explained I had to leave my course because I was suffering from anxiety and sever panic attacks, brought on by all the stress of everything, but I don't believe they care too much.

I'm starting to feel really depressed again, I can't afford to lose money for my family. I wish I could do a full time job to care for everyone, but I'm just in a really bad place in my life at the moment, and I know I wont be there forever, but right now, it feels overwhelming and getting me back into a bad place again.

I appreciate how supportive people have been on this forum though, that has been nice to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

I have no additional advice to add to what folk have said previously, just wanted to wish you all the very best. Your opening post hit a nerve with me as it could have been me writing it 2/3 years ago. Don't lose hope, there is help out there. As previously said, GP visit is of utmost importance. Be totally honest with him/her about how you are feeling. You will be taken seriously and believe me there is absolutely no shame in admitting you are not ok. I really wish you the very best of luck, the is a bright light at the end of the tunnel and it's worth it when it comes.

redshoes15 wrote: »
    I have no additional advice to add to what folk have said previously, just wanted to wish you all the very best. Your opening post hit a nerve with me as it could have been me writing it 2/3 years ago. Don't lose hope, there is help out there. As previously said, GP visit is of utmost importance. Be totally honest with him/her about how you are feeling. You will be taken seriously and believe me there is absolutely no shame in admitting you are not ok. I really wish you the very best of luck, the is a bright light at the end of the tunnel and it's worth it when it comes.

Thanks for that, sometimes you forget their are others who have/are going through the same thing. It's hard at times to stay hopeful when everything seems to be falling apart, but I'm trying. Cheers again.

Update: When to see one of the doctors today, and the doctor didn't know what a SW sick cert was, they just gave me a sick note explaining why I had to leave the course? I don't think that is what I was meant to get? What do I do? I scanned the sick letter, so I have a copy myself, and forwarded it to my tutor as well, but I don't think this is what the Social Welfare is looking for? I'm getting really stressed with this whole thing.

Update: When to see one of the doctors today, and the doctor didn't know what a SW sick cert was, they just gave me a sick note explaining why I had to leave the course? I don't think that is what I was meant to get? What do I do? I scanned the sick letter, so I have a copy myself, and forwarded it to my tutor as well, but I don't think this is what the Social Welfare is looking for? I'm getting really stressed with this whole thing.

What you need from your GP is a MC1 First Medical Cert.
    Don't worry. Ring the surgery and explain to the receptionist that that's what you wanted.
    She or he may tell you to come back and pick one up.
    The GP signs it and you fill in the rest of it and bring it to SW.

What you need from your GP is a MC1 First Medical Cert.
    Don't worry. Ring the surgery and explain to the receptionist that that's what you wanted.
    She or he may tell you to come back and pick one up.
    The GP signs it and you fill in the rest of it and bring it to SW.

Update: I rang the doctors surgery, and the receptionist said they can only give those forms to people who have been in work,the course doesn't count as that, so I'm completely lost right now as to what to do? I'm thinking it'd be best just to go back on the job seeker's allowance, even though the thoughts of having to go look for work when I'm having panic attacks every hour doesn't sound great, but it looks like I'm having no choice.

• Advertisement

Update: Went doctors this morning, all she gave me was a sick note as to why I am no longer on the course, she had no idea what a MC1 form was. Called the surgery back, receptionist told me that those forms were only for people who were working, being on a course doesn't qualify. I've been running round all day, sweating, nauseous, palpitations just to get this sorted and I can't do it anymore. I'm gonna have to go the social welfare on Monday, and just hand in that sick note and sign back on job seeker's allowance, because according to the doctors I can't get that letter for the social welfare. I even sent the note to my tutor, and to the Turas Nua who I was signed on with before I started this course, to inform them and ask for advice. So I don't know what else to do, I made an appointment to see my regular doctor on Monday, but I think I'm going to cancel. I feel like I'm being laughed at with how I am.

Update: I rang the doctors surgery, and the receptionist said they can only give those forms to people who have been in work,the course doesn't count as that, so I'm completely lost right now as to what to do? I'm thinking it'd be best just to go back on the job seeker's allowance, even though the thoughts of having to go look for work when I'm having panic attacks every hour doesn't sound great, but it looks like I'm having no choice.

I've never heard that in my life.
    It's if absolutely no concern to your GP wether your in employment or not.
    You could be unemployed and entitled to Illness Benefit on the strength of PRSI you paid 2 full years ago.
    That is outrageous.
    If you have a doctors note saying that your not fit for work then the CWO can't put you back on JSA.
    I've a feeling that you should go to your local CIC and ask someone to help you to get your entitlements.
    Can you do that?

I've never heard that in my life.
    It's if absolutely no concern to your GP wether your in employment or not.
    You could be unemployed and entitled to Illness Benefit on the strength of PRSI you paid 2 full years ago.
    That is outrageous.
    If you have a doctors note saying that your not fit for work then the CWO can't put you back on JSA.
    I've a feeling that you should go to your local CIC and ask someone to help you to get your entitlements.
    Can you do that?

The doctor simply put that my anxiety was the cause of my not being able to finish my course. This doctor (no offense) was not fluent English, and didn't know what a MC1 form was when I asked. So I left confused myself. That's when I rang when the doctor's surgery and the receptionist (who was a native English speaker), said those forms were only for people who had left work because of illness and that the course wasn't work so I couldn't get one of those forms.

Now, I got my back pay from the ETB today, so that will keep my and my family covered for the next week. But I will have to go to the Social Welfare on Monday to ask what to do, I have the doctor's sick note, and I scanned a copy for myself as evidence. I'll go with a family member on Monday to my doctor's surgery and ask again, as something is definitely wrong. I know myself I'm not fit for work at this moment in time, but everything seems to be going against me at this stage.

I'll try not worry over the weekend, as I'll have a lot to sort out, but if anyone has anymore advice about what I should do, and what I should bring with me Monday so I can get this sorted, that would be great.

Honestly, you've been a great help with this, I appreciate a lot.

Advertisement