Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Red Pill Movie

Options
  • 15-05-2017 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

Just watched The Red Pill a movie about men's rights and i thought i'd post it here so others can watch as men's rights are big topic in this forum. Preview:

The movie is very interesting talking about inequalities that men face and how society ignores these issues. It interviews prominent men's rights activists and feminists. The men's rights activists come off very well, which is to be expected. The feminists spend their time mocking men's issues and basically blame men for the inequalities they face, its infuriating. Victim Blaming 101. For me, because women face inequality in today's world does not mean men don't too but the way men's rights is shunned is very shameful and somehow it automatically gets lumped in with the alt-right.

Although i googled the term "Red Pill" and it brings up some alarming results. The reddit page called The Red Pill is an absolute cess pool of women hating lunatics. Men who are that far on the Red Pill side can only take away from the legitimacy of the movement. But i guess that's the same as with any movement, you have people who take it too far, like the extreme men hating feminists we see on a regular basis who we don't see to get criticized as they should.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The film was protested and temporally banned in Sydney University.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/13/the-red-pill-screening-divides-campus-libertarians-from-pro-women-groups

Its ridiculous (although not surprising) that the extreme feminist movement would just try to censor and demonize a different point of view. The protesters chanted “RACIST, SEXIST, ANTI-GAY – MRA, GO AWAY,”, bizarre since there is little to no mention of race or sexuality in the entire movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Hazys wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/13/the-red-pill-screening-divides-campus-libertarians-from-pro-women-groups

Its ridiculous (although not surprising) that the extreme feminist movement would just try to censor and demonize a different point of view. The protesters chanted “RACIST, SEXIST, ANTI-GAY – MRA, GO AWAY,”, bizarre since there is little to no mention of race or sexuality in the entire movie.

The feminists are obviously very threatened by this subject matter being highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

I thought it was great, saw it via Kodi. Well worth a watch.

Interesting the attacks on it, many people are either incredibly deluded or just flat out lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sargon video on a protest at an Oz screening in a college.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The film did have an undercurrent of that the men's rights activists are probably not as polished as they came across in the movie as the lady who was filming this started the movie by saying that she was very skeptical of the men's rights activists at the start because as she researched her subjects she could get past all the "bitch" comments in their articles and that was never brought up again.

But if you take the film at face value and just take the arguments put forward in the movie, its a very reasonable argument. If anything, these extreme feminist protests are just proving their point, that the extreme feminists have gone so far past trying to find true equality that they just want to further their power and disregard common sense.

The moral of the story is that the extremes on either side of an argument ruin common sense for everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cassie Jaye and Warren Farrell speaking about the movie and men's issues at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

The man who created the red pill Reddit thing, the man who then had to resign from his job, is the perfect of example of everything wrong with this red pill "movement".

"“Feminists are obsessed with rape because we live in a rape fantasy culture, where feminists wish they were hot enough to be rape-able,” he wrote in one post from April 2014."

"In hundreds of online remarks made under usernames Pk_atheist and redpillschool, Fisher espoused a belief that women had inferior intellects and were useful only for sex. "

This is exactly why so many people are repulsed by red pill and MGTOW. It is a great reason to disconnect from it entirely,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

PucaMama wrote: »
    This is exactly why so many people are repulsed by red pill and MGTOW. It is a great reason to disconnect from it entirely,

Not a convincing argument.

You may have a point about the Red Pill movement/philosophy but this is not an effective way to make that point. To attack the person who holds the view is not to attack the point itself. It's an ad hominem argument; a logical fallacy.

The man who created the red pill Reddit thing, the man who then had to resign from his job, is the perfect of example of everything wrong with this red pill "movement".

"“Feminists are obsessed with rape because we live in a rape fantasy culture, where feminists wish they were hot enough to be rape-able,” he wrote in one post from April 2014."

"In hundreds of online remarks made under usernames Pk_atheist and redpillschool, Fisher espoused a belief that women had inferior intellects and were useful only for sex. "

Have you seen the documentary?

I think the mistake you are making here is assuming that everyone has the same view as that guy.

In the Red Pill movement, you have a good few whackjobs and extremists who get most of the publicity, because they are whackjobs and extremists.

The people making reasoned arguments don't get any publicity because reasoned arguments don't cause public outcry.

Indeed even in the documentary there are guys on there that are vilified because fo the extreme comments they have made online. But from what I have read, which isn't much, they made these crazy arguments in order to get noticed. If they kept making well reasoned,c lam points no one would notice them.

But int he documentary these guys are all making very logical, well-reasoned points.

It's the same with anything.

All the decent people, doing good work get ignored as it doesn't whip up outrage and get people talking. and then it is the usual extremists and whackjobs that get all the publicity which then, in turn, ends up tarring everyone with the same brush.

Are all feminists like the stereotypical "Big Red" from the Red Pill documentary? I.e. extremely rude, loud, obnoxious, seemingly unreasonable? No, but the people who don't agree with feminism or who have a problem with feminism have people like her as the poster child of feminism. She is the representation of feminism. The reasonable, calm, feminist making reasonable arguments doesn't get the airtime.

It's the way the world is nowadays.

tinpib wrote: »

Are all feminists like the stereotypical "Big Red" from the Red Pill documentary? I.e. extremely rude, loud, obnoxious, seemingly unreasonable? No, but the people who don't agree with feminism or who have a problem with feminism have people like her as the poster child of feminism. She is the representation of feminism. The reasonable, calm, feminist making reasonable arguments doesn't get the airtime.

Take Julie Bindel's, "put all men in camps" comment, option one, dismiss all feminism by using Puca's reasoning or option 2 ignore the fog and focus on the basis and content of the arguments.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hazys wrote: »

Well it's wrongthink - screaming FASCIST and SHAME at people wanting to go see a ****ing movie ?
    Frightening how the end of free speech is accelerating across universities - what the hell will the world be like when these spoiled little twats are in politics ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

silverharp wrote: »
    Sargon video on a protest at an Oz screening in a college.

Good upload, always like Sargons videos, he just makes so much sense.

Not a convincing argument.

You may have a point about the Red Pill movement/philosophy but this is not an effective way to make that point. To attack the person who holds the view is not to attack the point itself. It's an ad hominem argument; a logical fallacy.

It's fact, not argument. It's a fact this man is literally the perfect example of what turns people off the red pill movement. The language he uses. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The title alone would put me off.

tinpib wrote: »
    Have you seen the documentary?

I think the mistake you are making here is assuming that everyone has the same view as that guy.

In the Red Pill movement, you have a good few whackjobs and extremists who get most of the publicity, because they are whackjobs and extremists.

The people making reasoned arguments don't get any publicity because reasoned arguments don't cause public outcry.

Indeed even in the documentary there are guys on there that are vilified because fo the extreme comments they have made online. But from what I have read, which isn't much, they made these crazy arguments in order to get noticed. If they kept making well reasoned,c lam points no one would notice them.

But int he documentary these guys are all making very logical, well-reasoned points.

It's the same with anything.

All the decent people, doing good work get ignored as it doesn't whip up outrage and get people talking. and then it is the usual extremists and whackjobs that get all the publicity which then, in turn, ends up tarring everyone with the same brush.

Have a look around boards. They have already decided all feminists are the same and are only a few steps away from agreeing with the man I mentioned. I seem to remember a thread before supporting mandatory paternity tests on babies at birth? Imagine demanding all men have give a DNA sample to be sure they haven't committed a crime. Doesn't sound right does it?? Yet loads of posters were all for assuming every woman needs to be checked up on to make sure she wasn't cheating. So boards thinks all feminists are bad and have men oppressed, but they can't have any disagreement with MRAs. No we can't have that now.

silverharp wrote: »
    Take Julie Bindel's, "put all men in camps" comment, option one, dismiss all feminism by using Puca's reasoning or option 2 ignore the fog and focus on the basis and content of the arguments.

I would support banning "put all ____ in camps" completely off the face of the earth tbh. Grow up people.

Have a look around boards. They have already decided all feminists are the same and are only a few steps away from agreeing with the man I mentioned.

I wouldn't say 'they', that implies 'all'. It would be more accurate to say 'some of them'. Which is my point.

It's a vocal minority, often extremists, that leads people to think it is 'them' or 'all'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

I seem to remember a thread before supporting mandatory paternity tests on babies at birth?

I recall that discussion.

Some points I believe I raised.

In medical discussions, family history sometimes comes up. If you have the wrong information on your father/paternity, bad decisions can be made.

Also, if you have the wrong information on your father, you could end up in a relationship or procreating with a blood relative.

Sometimes it becomes clear after a number of years that the assumed father is not the father. I know of one case of this where the father demanded a paternity test when the child was 6 or 7 as he didn't look like him at all. He was found to be not the father. In such a scenario, it can be very difficult to locate the true father because of the time that has passed.

Some people might be more inclined to invest more into the child if there are more sure of paternity. I recall reading a study that paternal grandparents invest less resources in their grandchildren than maternal grandparents and it was believed it was for this reason.

If there is a mixup in a hospital between babies, huge efforts will be made to ensure the mother is sure that she has her own child/sure of maternity.

There is talk that more and more women will be forced to name a father to get social welfare and the like and this could increase the chances of somebody who is not the true father being named.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Alizrian Crimson

It's a real shame that the term 'men's rights activist' has become debased due to the actions of a few women hating weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Have a look around boards. They have already decided all feminists are the same and are only a few steps away from agreeing with the man I mentioned. I seem to remember a thread before supporting mandatory paternity tests on babies at birth? Imagine demanding all men have give a DNA sample to be sure they haven't committed a crime. Doesn't sound right does it?? Yet loads of posters were all for assuming every woman needs to be checked up on to make sure she wasn't cheating. So boards thinks all feminists are bad and have men oppressed, but they can't have any disagreement with MRAs. No we can't have that now.

He biggest load of nonsense I've read on here for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Not a convincing argument.You may have a point about the Red Pill movement/philosophy but this is not an effective way to make that point. To attack the person who holds the view is not to attack the point itself. It's an ad hominem argument; a logical fallacy.

The thing is though if the reddit guy is your first experience of the red pill movement, that's going to colour your view of it or perhaps even stop you finding more about it. So how he is as a person is quite important and relevant, I think.

Men right's activists already face an uphill battle. Reddit guy being a major proponent of one of the MRA movements damages the cause.

I reckon a new movement separate of the red pill is the way to go.

I was a bit surprised by the title of the movie. My impression of the Red Pill term is that it is a lot to do with personal relationships between a man and a woman.

Men's rights activism doesn't really focus on that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/ I think is a much better representation of the men's rights movement than https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Murrisk wrote: »

I reckon a new movement separate of the red pill is the way to go.
    That's rather vague.

I think the problem is while most problems men face were there before feminism started a lot of problems men face are also new. And we live in a society where when some clearly is preferential to women over men feminism will state that it is equality. So MRAs feed off of this type of thing.

The best way for MRAs to operate is to raise awareness of the problems that men face and work with politicians and educators to get funding and awareness. However there is always the problem that many forms of feminism gets in men's way such as domestic violence theories (designed by feminists) and how outdated, doctrinal or prejudiced they can be so this will also require MRAs to call feminism out on this which can be a minefield. The next problem is supports that exist for many gender related issues are actually run by feminists so getting men to be supported by those services like women already are is a problem because it will be a member of the privileged/oppressor group demanding help which many feminists won't want to be involved in. So then you may say well why don't MRAs set up a male equivalent service? Well they often do try to but setting up an equivalent service for men will be a direct threat to feminism's funding and resource monopoly which feminism will often try to block (which is what we see in domestic violence shelters etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    That's rather vague.

Indeed. I haven't written a thesis on the subject or anything. Just putting it out there and pointing out that a nascent men's group having someone like the Reddit dude as a high profile member will hurt them and their cause.

what do they say politics is downstream of culture, chin wagging on the internet is as good as anything. I remember last year there was an article on the Journal after the LC results came out and the headline was "girls leave boys in hapenny place" luckily in the comments they got hell for it, remember looking back recently and they had changed the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

One of the best things aboyt TRP is that Cassie interviews this mad rad fem in it.

I can't think of her name but I believe she has some nic name ever since her infamous anti-patriarchy speech above went viral.

One of the best things aboyt TRP is that Cassie interviews this mad rad fem in it.

I can't think of her name but I believe she has some nic name ever since her infamous anti-patriarchy speech above went viral.
    Big Red, I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement

MEETING THE ENEMY A feminist comes to terms with the Men's Rights movement | Cassie Jaye | TEDxMarin
    TEDx Talks
    Published on 18 Oct 2017

By facing long-held assumptions, one woman reevaluates her own gender biases. Documentary Filmmaker, The Red Pill

Cassie Jaye founded Jaye Bird Productions in 2008, which has since produced a collection of documentary films that have been praised for being thought-provoking, entertaining and respectful in representing multiple competing views within each film. Jaye is known for tackling complex and often controversial subject matters. Her latest film is The Red Pill. Prior to “The Red Pill”, Jaye’s most notable films were the award winning feature documentaries “Daddy I Do” (which examined the Abstinence-Only Movement versus Comprehensive Sex Education) and “The Right to Love: An American Family” (which followed one family’s activism fighting for same-sex marriage rights in California). Both films showed that Jaye’s interview style is to allow people to share their views honestly, openly and candidly while allowing audiences to come to their own conclusions.

http://theredpillmovie.com/about-the-filmmaker/

Advertisement