Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncy castle season

Options
  • 14-05-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭

I was on the road today and saw a good few of them in peoples gardens and ones folded up into the back of a trailer and that got me thinking. The bouncy castle season in Ireland must be quite a short one because by the time July rolls around who will be renting them?

Would I be right in saying the main source of income from them isn't going to the people renting them out but the company providing the public liability insurance for them? The owner has to keep bringing it around to different places and hoping nobody punctures it or sets it on fire but the insurance company staff just sit in their office in the big shmoke on Facebook while the money rolls in. The odd time they have to pay out a claim but that rarely happens surely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It's market saturation.

As soon as it's up, it tends to come down again.

The inflation tends to hold for a period, but quickly deflates shortly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I was on the road today and saw a good few of them in peoples gardens and ones folded up into the back of a trailer and that got me thinking. The bouncy castle season in Ireland must be quite a short one because by the time July rolls around who will be renting them?

Would I be right in saying the main source of income from them isn't going to the people renting them out but the company providing the public liability insurance for them? The owner has to keep bringing it around to different places and hoping nobody punctures it or sets it on fire but the insurance company staff just sit in their office in the big shmoke on Facebook while the money rolls in. The odd time they have to pay out a claim but that rarely happens surely

It may be rare, but the potential consequences are big. Didn't a child die in one recently that took flight in a breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It may be rare, but the potential consequences are big. Didn't a child die in one recently that took flight in a breeze?

Quite possibly though I didn't hear. The real costly payout would be the child that breaks his neck and needs 24h care in a "home" for the rest of his days, but does the bouncy castle owner always get the blame in those cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's the same as any insurance.

I can guarantee you there is no insurance company in the world sitting back and seeing the money rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Does it not fall on the renter to ensure it's insured?
    It's on their property, not the rental company's property.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »

I can guarantee you there is no insurance company in the world sitting back and seeing the money rolling in.

There are a lot of insurance companies and it's a big world, I wouldn't be so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

You have to take inflation into consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You might be thinking about the recent one that exploded in Spain:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/08/girl-6-killed-and-six-children-injured-after-bouncy-castle-explodes-at-restaurant-6622258/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Patser

Bouncy castles are just another property bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

My 72 year old uncle has a broken arm after a disagreement with a bouncy castle a few weeks back :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When I was young my bed was my bouncy castle. Much more fun as it wasn't allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

s4uv3 wrote: »
    My 72 year old uncle has a broken arm after a disagreement with a bouncy castle a few weeks back :rolleyes:

I'm sure he'll bounce back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's far from bouncy castles we were reared.

Bouncing on the drawbar of a muckspreader or the plunger of a baler, that's all the bouncing we seen.

Bouncy castles!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Part of the problem with those bouncy castles is parents thinking they're safe for kids to use on their own. The kids need to be supervised.
    Allinall wrote: »

I'm sure they are watching money roll, in, they just watch it roll out as quick. You can be damn sure the people at the top of the companies are rolling in cash, as long as they get paid it's all good. I'm sure there's plenty of people making good money from insurance and that there's no shortage of money when it's needed and easy to make it look like there's no money when it comes to justifying price hikes.

I wouldn't trust the banks to tell me night from day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some radio commentator there lately was on about 'bouncy castle Catholics' i.e. those hiring for first communion parties, big hullaballoo about those and maybe a census form box tick, but damn all interest in church besides.

Very witty expression I thought. Many of my own friends would be such.

topper75 wrote: »
    Some radio commentator there lately was on about 'bouncy castle Catholics' i.e. those hiring for first communion parties, big hullaballoo about those and maybe a census form box tick, but damn all interest in church besides.

Very witty expression I thought. Many of my own friends would be such.

A great name for them! I suppose for those people it's more of an opportunity to show off and blag about how much money you can send up in smoke to the other parents and the neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I wouldn't really think of bouncy castles as an ostentatious "nouveau riche" thing. I remember people having them for birthday parties in the late '80s and early '90s. I haven't been on one in years. It's crap being an adult; sometimes I'd love to hire one just for myself. The neighbours might think that's a bit weird though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

RayM wrote: »
    I wouldn't really think of bouncy castles as an ostentatious "nouveau riche" thing. I remember people having them for birthday parties in the late '80s and early '90s. I haven't been on one in years. It's crap being an adult; sometimes I'd love to hire one just for myself. The neighbours might think that's a bit weird though.

Just tell them to jump in with you and they will no longer think your weird and instead praise you as a hero :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nailed it!

And mass itself even at the height of popularity decades ago was just an opportunity to dress up in your 'good' clothes.

Most Irish were never really the spiritual sort. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Just tell them to jump in with you and they will no longer think your weird and instead praise you as a hero :P

I don't mean to be a paedophobe, but their kids would inevitably ruin the fun. I was at a holy communion a few years ago and they had one. I waited all day for all the kids to get bored of it or break some limbs and piss off, so I could try it out, but they didn't. My brother eventually braved it, but ended up getting his head kicked in by 8-year-olds and had retreated back to the safety of the vol-au-vents within minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

RayM wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a paedophobe, but their kids would inevitably ruin the fun. I was at a holy communion a few years ago and they had one. I waited all day for all the kids to get bored of it or break some limbs and piss off, so I could try it out, but they didn't. My brother eventually braved it, but ended up getting his head kicked in by 8-year-olds and had retreated back to the safety of the vol-au-vents within minutes.

Your brother is a noob :P you get ice cream and sweets and have a set time that the kids get them clearing the way for you to have fun on the bouncy castle :P

Advertisement