Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Filter

Options
  • 14-05-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good shower filter to remove limescale? Preferably one that I could fit myself easily. I live in an area with very hard water which is slowly turning my hair green and drying out my skin. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Triton do one called lime wizard. I think around 50 to buy and replacement filters around 15. If you have an electric shower you'll only need one and if it's not electric you'll need one on the hottest and one on the cold.
    A water softening system for the house is probably better in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

A filter cannot remove limescale.  A filter is a mechanical 'screen', it can only remove solid matter bigger that the mesh size of the filter.  It cannot remove anything that is dissolved into the water.  You need a water softener.

youtheman wrote: »
    A filter cannot remove limescale.  A filter is a mechanical 'screen', it can only remove solid matter bigger that the mesh size of the filter.  It cannot remove anything that is dissolved into the water.  You need a water softener.

https://www.earthridge.ie/lime-wizard

I don't sell this but I've seen great success with people using it for their electric shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

I would compare this type of product to 'snake oil'.  A basic knowledge of science would inform you that it cannot work as advertised.  The following is a quote from a website I found when I Googled 'Lime Wizard Review'.
    " I wouldn't go as far to say that it is a scam, but you have wasted your money. These devices do not work...where is the lime scale that they *ahem* remove going to go. A cursory knowledge of chemistry and physics should alert anyone to the rubbish that these companies spout.

Devices such as the scale wizard do not remove calcium or other minerals - therefore they do not make the water any softer; all that is happening is that you are suffering from 'the King's new clothes' syndrome. The ONLY thing that works is an Ion Exchange Unit and these are rather costly. Have a look here for some qualified reports and to anyone else even contemplating this.....don't "

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jeannae

Why not consider a stone shower filter than an ordinary filter shower head? It is both a high pressure shower head and a water soft shower head. More importantly, its bio-active mineral stone breaks down water molecules into small molecules, removing other mineral ions that are harmful to health.

• Advertisement

jeannae wrote: »
    Why not consider a stone shower filter than an ordinary filter shower head? It is both a high pressure shower head and a water soft shower head. More importantly, its bio-active mineral stone breaks down water molecules into small molecules, removing other mineral ions that are harmful to health.

Not suitable for electric showers & can void the warranty. These heads can cause the shower to cycle hot & cold. Also they only collect limescale as it leaves the shower. This doesn't improve the health or prolong the life of the shower. It still allows limescale to form around the element.

Really a water softening system is the best solution but these run around 800 euro. For someone living in a high limescale area like North County Dublin they can pay for themselves in 4 to 6 years

jeannae wrote: »
    lulucas13 wrote: »
    AquaHomeGroup and Culligan are the shower heads I use. I would say that the AquaHomeGroup shower head feels like rain and the water pressure is very high. These two filters made my water softer and the chlorine smell completely disappeared. My hair feels much better.

These aren't suitable for electric showers. These can cause your electric shower to function incorrectly & can void the warranty

OP has an electric shower. Whit an electric shower the limescale builds up on the element. If the filter isn't installed before the shower then the element will become damaged.

The only real solution for limescale is a water softening system. This will protect every element in the home including washing machine, dishwasher, kettle, electric shower & hot water cylinder element. In a high limescale area they will pay for themselves within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Prevention is better than cure but I would certainly give this a go.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110438518

Advertisement