Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No insurance summons

Options
  • 14-05-2017 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all .
    my ex and I shared a car and she promised me I was insured under it , I got pulled and was told to produce my insurance within 10 days to the station . Turns out she hadn't me as a name driver on the insurance . In the mean time I moved out and the guards rang me to tell me I had received a summons to court for this . Now I gave them my new address to send the summons on but it's been a month and I have still not received it. Should I ring and see where it is? Also anything I can do about the no proof of insurance. It's devastating for me .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

If you've spoken to the Gardai and given them your new address, the summons is likely to be redirected to you. I certainly wouldn't worry about not receiving it. If and when the summons is served, you will be obliged to attend court. All you can really hope for is a judge that will believe your account, which would affect the severity of sentence if convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Unknownxox

If you've spoken to the Gardai and given them your new address, the summons is likely to be redirected to you. I certainly wouldn't worry about not receiving it. If and when the summons is served, you will be obliged to attend court. All you can really hope for is a judge that will believe your account, which would affect the severity of sentence if convicted.
    Thank you for reply ,
    Do you know what the severity of fine etc can be?
    Also driving is my job so losing my license is the last thing I need .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Unknownxox wrote: »
    Thank you for reply ,
    Do you know what the severity of fine etc can be?
    Also driving is my job so losing my license is the last thing I need .

Max of 5 points, 5000 euro fine and 6 months in prison. Don't worry you won't get prison though! Or a 5000 fine. You will probably get the 5 points though which I think is mandatory. And a fine of a few hundred

Have a look at link below. Also says something about a possible ban but I don't think it will happen to you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/penalty_points_for_driving_offences.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Everyone in the legal discussion page always suggest getting a solictor. It looks better when you go in front of the judge.

Everyone in the legal discussion page always suggest getting a solictor. It looks better when you go in front of the judge.

It is my intention to get a solicitor . My case is genuine and I have just been mislead . Thanks for your advice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Unknownxox wrote: »
    It is my intention to get a solicitor . My case is genuine and I have just been mislead . Thanks for your advice .

Genuine, or not, it is your responsibilty to ensure that you are insured. The ex sounds like a lazy tard, but you shoukd have confirmed you were insured. You can only plead laziness and stupidity on the day on hope the judge gives you a light slap on the wrist.

Happened me a good few years ago for tax on a moped I had borrowed. Was told the tax was up to date and I only needed the moped for a few hours while mine was in for service. Got stopped at checkpoint on O'Connell street. Turned out there was no tax and I got fined.

goz83 wrote: »
    Genuine, or not, it is your responsibilty to ensure that you are insured. The ex sounds like a lazy tard, but you shoukd have confirmed you were insured. You can only plead laziness and stupidity on the day on hope the judge gives you a light slap on the wrist.

Happened me a good few years ago for tax on a moped I had borrowed. Was told the tax was up to date and I only needed the moped for a few hours while mine was in for service. Got stopped at checkpoint on O'Connell street. Turned out there was no tax and I got fined.

It is so sickening . But serious lesson learned all the same . Hopefully I get the judge on a good day . It's the fine is the worrying part and loosing my license .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Driving is your job, Had you policy in your own name at the the time you may have 3rd party cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Do you have your own insurance on another car/van ?

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Driving is your job, Had you policy in your own name at the the time you may have 3rd party cover?

Sorry it is only my job in the last year
    This happened a year and a half ago .

• Advertisement

Do you have your own insurance on another car/van ?

No other insurance at the time . Unfortunately !!

Advertisement