Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can walking aids be prescribed?

Options
  • 14-05-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of a medical card patient.
    She needs a walking frame badly.
    Won't let me buy one for her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The community nurse can organise a wheelchair so I presume they could organise walking aids too. Give your local one a call tomorrow and ask him/her about it - they probably will want to visit and see what else is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check out your local charity shops, explain you want it for a needy case and you can pick one up for not much more than the cost of a medical card prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It will come from the occupational therapist in your local health centre.
    If you want it quickly, check adverts.ie
    Just be careful. There are 2 types. One with a seat or a foldable one. Check which one the person wants. The seat version has its advantages but may not fit through doorways in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks, I'll enquire tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It will come from the occupational therapist in your local health centre.
    If you want it quickly, check adverts.ie
    Just be careful. There are 2 types. One with a seat or a foldable one. Check which one the person wants. The seat version has its advantages but may not fit through doorways in the house.

The wheelchair in my house came from the nurse and took 2 days so it may be different in different areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

You can get a simple one in Argos for less than €40, and one with seat and wheels for €47

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=walking+aid&authToken=

If it is someone close, and you have the money to spare, maybe you could buy it, and tell them you picked it up at the health centre for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks. My plan is just to buy one.
    I'm not family do enquiries wouldn't be straight forward.
    I know she's waiting a long time for the occupational therapist to call.

Advertisement