Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AWACS into Shannon.?

Options
  • 14-05-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im not 100% sure, from the angle i was looking at the aircraft from i cant be certain it was the dome ontop of the fuselage or just part of the tail plane..it was on final approach to Shannon, very large and it had four engines...AND very strangely, it didnt show up on Flightradar24.
    Did anyone else see it, just after 4 this afternoon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They won't show up on flight radar but they do refuel in Shannon, what you describe is indeed an AWAC aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It was an E-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Psychlops

E-3B Sentry, Callsign was "SHUCK83", Reg:79-0002

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Nice procession. Sis flew into Shannon yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

They look like C-130s not E-3s if I'm not mistaken. Nice view from the viewing gallery though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Shannon757 wrote: »
    They look like C-130s not E-3s if I'm not mistaken. Nice view from the viewing gallery though.

Is the viewing gallery in SNN even open to the public anymore? as the last few times I was in Shannon it was closed and the red light lit in the lift. I was in Shannon yesterday morning to collect a relative from EI110 from JFK and actually thought to visit the gallery and said to myself nah! its probably closed. Would have liked to have seen those if it was open.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do they close it when it's stormy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

She got the photo after disembarking a flight for LHR. Not sure she was in gallery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    She got the photo after disembarking a flight for LHR. Not sure she was in gallery?

You know what you're right. On second viewing I see that it's not from the viewing gallery. My mistake :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Nice picture, but they are C130s and not AWACS.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    Nice picture, but they are C130s and not AWACS.....
    Is that more than usual? Ive only ever seen 1-2 in place. (But its been about 2 years since Ive been in Shannon)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I thought you wrote "Six flew into Shannon" and couldn't count :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Doltanian wrote: »
    Is the viewing gallery in SNN even open to the public anymore? as the last few times I was in Shannon it was closed and the red light lit in the lift. I was in Shannon yesterday morning to collect a relative from EI110 from JFK and actually thought to visit the gallery and said to myself nah! its probably closed. Would have liked to have seen those if it was open.

Personally never seen it closed, anytime I have visited it has been open, just a pity it is quite far back from the Apron.

Advertisement