Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keloid?

Options
  • 14-05-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

So I am 95% certain I have a keloid on my nose piercing (I am going to attempt to upload a pic, but am on my phone so it may not work).

Looking for advice on home remedies that may make it go down (I am going to ask my doctor about it as well, but just until I get to see him).

I assume the first thing I should do is remove the jewellery??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I looks very red to be a keloid? But I'm not sure.

I had a keloid for aaages on my nose 0 I tried tea tree oil for a long time, but it didn't do too much. So i eventually tried crushing up aspirin and making a paste, putting it on the keloid for ten minutes and then washing off. After a few days it went down significantly.

I also kept up plenty saline washes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I looks very red to be a keloid? But I'm not sure.

I had a keloid for aaages on my nose 0 I tried tea tree oil for a long time, but it didn't do too much. So i eventually tried crushing up aspirin and making a paste, putting it on the keloid for ten minutes and then washing off. After a few days it went down significantly.

I also kept up plenty saline washes

The red is due to bleeding from inside my nose. It was fine for two weeks then one evening during cleaning I turned it and it bled. Now it keeps scabbing inside and bleeding, and of course the blood comes outside too. Without the blood it's s shiny whitish lump.

Ah, okay!

I'd say try the aspirin trick if you have some lying around. If that doesn't work, hydrochortisone cream might do the trick, but it shouldn't be used for longer than a week or ten days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Ah, okay!

I'd say try the aspirin trick if you have some lying around. If that doesn't work, hydrochortisone cream might do the trick, but it shouldn't be used for longer than a week or ten days

Cool. Should I remove the jewellery first? I've read that continuing to have the jewellery in will encourage the keloid to continue to develop/re-develop

hdowney wrote: »
    Cool. Should I remove the jewellery first? I've read that continuing to have the jewellery in will encourage the keloid to continue to develop/re-develop

I left mine in, as otherwise it could likely close, and taking it out/putting back in may only aggravate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Only remove the jewellery if you're concerned with the quality of it and have a reputable piece to put in directly after.

I'm a huge fan of chamomile tea soaks when scarring gets bad. In my previous incarnation on this site I'd a huge keloid scar from a conch punch, I swelled so much and the piercer didn't listen to me. A 18mm length piece of jewellery didn't fit due to the scarring. Twice daily chamomile tea soaks sorted it right out over the course of a few months.

Having said that this doesn't look like a keloid to be honest, maybe a spot or agitation from the jewellery that may be too big? My best suggestion is to leave it be, stick to twice daily cleaning. If you're really concerned hit up your piercer if they're any good and move from there. Should settle in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Not a keloid, most likely some hypertrophic scarring. The nose is notorious for it.

A good idea would be to go to a reputable studio and ask them to put in a nose screw instead of your ring. I assume this is a fairly new piercing and rings should generally only be put in to a fully or mostly healed piercing that has healed with a bar or nose screw as the extra movement of rings can irritate and cause issues.

Also, as already mentioned, chamomile tea bag soaks are good for scarring. Tea tree oil can also be helpful to some people.

Advertisement