Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

courses with no leaving cert

Options
  • 14-05-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi im 18 out of school a year now. i cant find anywhere to do a course with no leaving cert anywhere ive tried have said i need a leaving cert. im looking for something part time, any help???

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many PLC colleges will take you without a Leaving cert., depending on the impression you make at interview and your potential ability.
    Did you follow the LC course and just not sit the exam, or did you leave in 5th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irishgal98

I completed up to half way through 6th year and had to leave due to health issues. ive applied for many courses and they dont accept me when they realise i havent done my lc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you go in and talk to them? If you explain your situation things might be different. I know many courses in Dublin take people who may not have actually sat the exam, but have followed the course for almost the two years.
    Alternatively, you could take next year to do the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irishgal98

maybe ill try that i got accepted lasst year on the basis that i did the lc and when i didnt they took the place of me and that was only for beauty therapy.i cant see anywhere to do the lc that is a lot of money or full time which i cant do or they say you have to be 21 which im not

Talk to your local ETB (used to be VEC) Adult Ed. person, or visit your local ETB school.They will know who you should speak to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

At your age you need to forget about fetac or plc courses and actually do your leaving cert. It's the most sensible option that will provide you with greater opportunities going forward.

Either go back to school or find a college that does a leaving cert course, it's only one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pelvis wrote: »
    At your age you need to forget about fetac or plc courses and actually do your leaving cert. It's the most sensible option that will provide you with greater opportunities going forward.

Either go back to school or find a college that does a leaving cert course, it's only one year.

No necessarily. Level 5 QQI courses are offered by many further ed colleges. The LC is a Level 5 course. OP might as well do a L5 in an area she's interested in. A good result will allow progression to employment or further study, and by the time she's completed it she'll be approaching an age when having a LC or not won't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As an aside, is it not time this forum had a name change? FETAC has been defunct since 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

endacl wrote: »
    No necessarily. Level 5 QQI courses are offered by many further ed colleges. The LC is a Level 5 course. OP might as well do a L5 in an area she's interested in. A good result will allow progression to employment or further study, and by the time she's completed it she'll be approaching an age when having a LC or not won't matter.
    The OP is 18, what she's interested in now might not be what she's interested in when she's 19. She could start something and if it doesn't work out she's back to square one. Not to mention most jobs will be looking for a leaving cert at a minimum.

Taking a year now to complete the leaving cert will put her in a much better position in terms of expanding her options both for further education and employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iceadtea

I have to agree with Pelvis. At this stage finishing up the leaving cert will put you in a much better position to go on to other courses. It does depend what you want to do also but most places do look for the lc. Plus once you've finished up with courses potential employers often still look for a lc regardless of what qualifications you have. Not always but sometimes.
    Again it depends what kind of career your looking at long term.

Without knowing what kind of course you want to do it's kind of difficult to give you any more specific advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement