Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you opt to change to a higher level exam on the day of the Leaving?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

If you're currently doing Ordinary Level, do you have the option to take a higher level paper on the day of the exam or are you fixed into doing the OL paper at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

algore34 wrote: »
    If you're currently doing Ordinary Level, do you have the option to take a higher level paper on the day of the exam or are you fixed into doing the OL paper at this stage.

No you decide the day of your exam in Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

It's possible, but it's probably not a great idea if you've been doing pass all along. I know a lad who did pass French all through leaving cert, and then something possessed him to take the HL paper on the day. He got an E I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes but it's not advised. Choosing a higher level on the day with no experience of the material would be a terrible idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Even choosing a lower level on the day of the exam, without checking out what you have to have covered etc., is not a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

There could be problems if there was any sort of project component submitted ahead of time, if you did it to OL standard and criteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Exceptionally bad idea to change paper on the day, even if you in a total panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

You can, my sister for example did pass maths, and her teacher refused her to move up to honours.

And so my sister had grinds throughout the summer of 5th year and 6th year in honours maths and did it on the day of the LC.

She got an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jordanmurp

just on that, if i‘m dropping levels on the day, do they usually have enough OL papers or do they stick closely to what your said?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jordanmurp wrote:
    just on that, if i‘m dropping levels on the day, do they usually have enough OL papers or do they stick closely to what your said?

More than likely they will have enough, but if loads from your class switch you might be left waiting on a photocopy.

Certain subjects can be manageable (when I did mine Biology was one such)
    Maths a big no no either direction. Too much differences between courses.

It'll also depend on any relevant course projects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement