Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just wondering are there any Linux experts?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Okay so I'm currently a student on work placement studying Computer Forensics & Security. I'm posting this because I'm genuinely worried going into 4th year as I've had horrendous networking issues with my laptop trying to run some Linux Operating Systems such as Ubuntu and Kali Linux (particularly Kali Linux). I was given VmWare workstation from college. Since day 1 with it I've had issues trying to solve the networking problems with little success. I've went to lecturer's, I've read what seems like 100's of tutorials for installing Linux, tried different versions of Linux but still had no success.

This year I ventured with Virtual Box which was a massive help for Ubuntu but was no use for Kali Linux and still plagues me with problems in particular trying to install packages to use such as SNORT, ARGUS etc.

So I've decided to try resolve this issue before going into my final year as my main idea for a final year project heavily involves the use of Kali Linux. I want to successfully use Kali Linux and be able to use a host of different tools and commands. I'm willing to meet up and pay for a session if it can solve my Linux issues. Anything to avoid this stress going into my final year would be worth it.

I'm currently using a Dell Inspirion 15 (3000 Series) with Intel CORE i5. I'm not sure if this is a 100% true but I've heard Macs have far less Linux problems if this is true I would definitely consider buying a new laptop if it'll mean it will resolve these issues. However, 90% of my classmates don't have Macs and they seem to have 0 issues with Linux, which is why I have not bought a new laptop yet.

Kind regards,
    Leinster Rugby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Paidi28

Have you tried making your laptop a dual boot machine or just running Kali off a usb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

Paidi28 wrote: »
    Have you tried making your laptop a dual boot machine or just running Kali off a usb ?

Pretty much this, and I think partitioning a drive is another option too.

Installing Ubuntu really shouldn't be that hard, I could boot up just fine via USB before. Are you sure you're using the right distro OP?

Also what is the overall goal of your project, to make a new linux flavor OS or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Paidi28 wrote: »

+1 for doing this.

Also, I'm sure you've already done this (sorry if that's the case), but Kali have a decent docs to go through each issue.

http://docs.kali.org/installation/troubleshooting-wireless-driver-issues

Does it worked wired in to a network instead of wireless?

Advertisement