Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to attract someone's attention without being creepy

Options
  • 13-05-2017 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I happened t see someone I knew when I was walking down a street. He was going to his car in a small car park and there was a low-ish wall with plants a few feet high and fairly thick separating us.
    I didn't say hello or anything because it wasn't immediately obvious that I could have noticed him and I didn't want to seem like a creep or stalker.

Any advice on how to handle such situations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yesterday I happened t see someone I knew when I was walking down a street. He was going to his car in a small car park and there was a low-ish wall with plants a few feet high and fairly thick separating us.
    I didn't say hello or anything because it wasn't immediately obvious that I could have noticed him and I didn't want to seem like a creep or stalker.

Assuming you are female....
    Get your boobs out.

If male.....
    keep your moobs where they belong

#freethenipple

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Start gasping and choking, he might jump the wall and give you the Heimlich manouevre?

I'm awful for letting the moment pass but I'm going to try to make myself say 'Hi!' in future. ''Hi! I'm down here! Skulking in the shrubbery''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Start gasping and choking, he might jump the wall and give you the Heimlich manouevre?

I'm awful for letting the moment pass but I'm going to try to make myself say 'Hi!' in future. ''Hi! I'm down here! Skulking in the shrubbery''
    So basically just say "Hi xx" loudly? That's what I was going to do but I thought it would look like I was stalking the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

You would not be stalking the guy for just saying hello. Dont over think it.

See someone you recognise and want to engage with them - go say hello.

That said, I am terrible with names and faces and seem to say hello to the wrong people all the time. Great way to make new friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Call Michael Staples on your telephone device.

Any more realistic suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

RayM wrote: »

Alan Partridge always has a ready made solution to these awkward social etiquette problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any more realistic suggestions?

Stop stalking him.

RayM wrote: »
    Alan Partridge always has a ready made solution to these awkward social etiquette problems.

Only just watched that. It was a fairly similar situation, actually a bit closer than in the video but just with trees between us. So if the same happens again I just bluntly say hello loudly to attract the persons attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't see the dilemma that the OP faced. The terror of saying hello to someone you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

WTF, have people problems saying hello to someone they know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So basically just say "Hi xx" loudly? That's what I was going to do but I thought it would look like I was stalking the guy.

He'll know you were just in the same place at the same time, unless he's a bit silly.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Winterlong wrote: »

That said, I am terrible with names and faces and seem to say hello to the wrong people all the time. Great way to make new friends.

I once mistook the same guy for the mate of a mate of mine twice in the space of about three hours... the second time he just said "I'm not. F*cking. Him!" :D:o

Was the spit of him in fairness!

Sam Kade wrote: »
    WTF, have people problems saying hello to someone they know now.

I just thought that someone appearing from behind a bush and saying hello to you might come across a bit weird.

Winterlong wrote: »

Most of the responses are similar so I'll do that next time. It's likely to be 3 months or so before I'm back there again. I suppose if he doesn't want to engage with me he'll just say hello back and leave it there. It's been a little over 2 years since we saw each other so he may not even remember me, although I think he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I once mistook the same guy for the mate of a mate of mine twice in the space of about three hours... the second time he just said "I'm not. F*cking. Him!" :D:o

Done that !

Saw a lad from a course I did. He was sitting in the coffee shop enjoying his coffee and carrot cake. " How're ya James" I said. He shouted loud enough to startle everyone in the shop " Why the XXXX does everyone think I am James " and he left the shop and his coffee and cake behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

cajonlardo wrote: »
    WHIP IT! wrote: »

Done that !

Saw a lad from a course I did. He was sitting in the coffee shop enjoying his coffee and carrot cake. " How're ya James" I said. He shouted loud enough to startle everyone in the shop " Why the XXXX does everyone think I am James " and he left the shop and his coffee and cake behind him.

Free cake and coffee for you ?

Advertisement