Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit from behind, damaged bumper

Options
  • 12-05-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

My daughter not long driving was hit from behind. Car jumped forward. She inspected the car seemed to be no damage. She felt intimidated by the other driver looking at his car saying you are lucky no damage on my car. My daughter is 20 and the other driver male in 50s.
    She was afraid to ring me about the accident.
    When she got home she told me what happened.
    Any how I got bright torch out of house to look at the bumper and there is a hairline crack in it slightly parting.
    All my daughter got was his registration number nothing else she didn't know what to do.
    What can she do now to get the bumper repaired. Small 1ltr car 141 his car large jeep 151.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

noel100 wrote:
    My daughter not long driving was hit from behind. Car jumped forward. She inspected the car seemed to be no damage. She felt intimidated by the other driver looking at his car saying you are lucky no damage on my car. My daughter is 20 and the other driver male in 50s. She was afraid to ring me about the accident. When she got home she told me what happened. Any how I got bright torch out of house to look at the bumper and there is a hairline crack in it slightly parting. All my daughter got was his registration number nothing else she didn't know what to do. What can she do now to get the bumper repaired. Small 1ltr car 141 his car large jeep 151.

Is she a learner ( was she accompanied) or novice?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Is she a learner ( was she accompanied) or novice?

Learner with her sister ( novice). She was at the traffic lights when car hit her from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

She needs to go to guards or find out insurance company.

Best way is contact her own insurance give them all details and they will do the investigation and work from there.

Guards won't be interested but better to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If its an older car I would let it go and move on . If you want go a different route , you need to report it to your insurance co. , get herself checked out medically etc .

The reg number is enough , but she did not follow the recommendations as in what to do in the event of an accident .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Contact insurance company to let them know. Contact guards, give them reg and explain that insurance details were not passed over. It'll be a bit of a drawn out process but you should get there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

noel100 wrote: »
    Learner with her sister ( novice). She was at the traffic lights when car hit her from behind.

Driving unaccompanied, she was breaking the law so I'd drop the issue.
    Car drivers with a learner permit must be accompanied at all times by, and be under the supervision of, someone with a current driving licence for a car. Also, the person accompanying you must have had the driving licence for at least 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

noel100 wrote:

To my knowledge the novice driver can not act as the qualified driver for the learner. Whether it has a bearing or not I'm not sure just letting you know in case you decide to go to the guards.
    However if you are struck from behind it is almost never the driver of the car in fronts fault.
    If your daughter wishes to pursue the other driver the only option is the guards. They may not be able to do anything as no-one was hurt and the damage was only seen later. At best it's a civil matter and I can't see the guards giving you the contact details of the other driver. It may just be a case of fixing it yourself and advising your daughter what to do if it ever happens again. Sucks but I can't see a different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

ED E wrote: »

Well the novice would have the driving license 4 years. But full license 6months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

noel100 wrote: »
    Well the novice would have the driving license 4 years. But full license 6months

You could have a learner permit / provisional for 40 years prior to passing the test, the fact remains that as per the rules of the road, drivers that have held a full licence for less than two years are not acceptable for accompanying learner drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

ED E wrote: »

Most likely won't have a bearing on the case as she was hit from behind. It's a separate issue for the guards if they wish to pursue it and nothing to do with the insurance companies in regards of this claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I appreciate people have places to go, end of the day the learner was not fully accompanied, this ah sure it's grand attitude to the law, both corporate and on the road is what's driving insurance premiums so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Makes no odds here, other driver looks to have been in the wrong. I wouldn't be letting it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Not having tax, NCT, qualified driver etc. never caused an accident. The incident will be decided on it's merits, end of story. However, there may well be consequences, separate to a claim, from breaking the law and/or policy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Not having tax, NCT, qualified driver etc. never caused an accident. The incident will be decided on it's merits, end of story. However, there may well be consequences, separate to a claim, from breaking the law and/or policy conditions.

This.
    When you go to renew the policy you will be asked if there have been any accidents, claims or convictions.
    And from now on your daughter needs to be accompanied by a person who is not a novice driver.

Advertisement