Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC brought back into use: Lubuntu issue

Options
  • 12-05-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got an old Dell 5150 which I had installed Lubuntu on a few years ago. I think from recollection that it is 14.04, but I can't be sure.

Anyhow, I brought it out and got it started up. I had forgot the admin password, but found a website which showed me how to reset it - job done.

I then got the machine connected to the wifi - and it was painfully slow. So, as I now knew the admin password I decided to get all the updates for the system.

However, since I've tried to do this it has failed to connect to the internet - I'm not close enough to try a wired connection.

I'm getting the following error message:
    E:Encountered a section with no Package:header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_universe_i18n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

How do I get around this issue?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Note: I tried doing the update via the console using:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

However, there were numerous failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

Try this:
    sudo rm -vf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

The above code should remove the problematic or malformed file.

then...
    sudo apt-get update

Will do an update and should fix things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Enter the "lsb_release -a" command in a terminal to get what version you have
    it should be in one of the GUIS as well under system settings details.

Thanks - will try these tomorrow and let you know how I get along.

Thanks.

The removal seemed to work - it threw up no observable issues on the console.

Going through the updates now and noticed a problem with the same file:

Err http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com trusty Release.gpg
    Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.162.80]
    17% [Waiting for headers] [Waiting for headers]

It has been stalled at this stage for quite a while now.

For the release info:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
    Release 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Err http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com trusty-security/main i386 packages
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.162.80]

And likewise for trusty-security/restricted, trusty-security/universe and trusty-security/multiverse

Possibly will be more coming along too.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

You have 14.04 all right and tha'st still supported
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    I asked to check that just in case you where using 14.10 to 12.04 or something that was out of date.

now the problem at hand.
    Its possible your original mirror has gone offline or had its speed degraded
    Have you tried changing your download server in Software Sources?
    Go to software & updates app in dash and on the first page it says Download from: set the server here

I ran the commands provided by gearoid! a few times and then i tried

sudo apt-get upgrade

So, I'm now on 14.04.5 and it is downloading a whole raft of software updates. Will know later in the week how it went as I'm out of town for a few days now.

I'm hoping that this will now resolve things including the poor internet speed - is this hope likely? What speed would i be expecting from a wired connection from the internet hub?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...I'm hoping that this will now resolve things including the poor internet speed - is this hope likely? What speed would i be expecting from a wired connection from the internet hub?

Can't be sure. How old is the machine? You could always set up SSH on your machine with pass through in your hub, so you can do a few bits on your machine, when you're away next time.

The machine is approx 2005 - originally bundled with WinXP.

I've managed to now get it up and working and software updates working - managed to get upgraded to Lubuntu 16.04 over the weekend. Not sure why it didn't go to 16.10 or 17.04 - probably got a setting somewhere that means I only upgrade to LTS releases, but I'm fine with that.

Trialled a few YouTube videos and it seems to be working, if a bit slow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement