Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live? Working in D4?

Options
  • 12-05-2017 8:54pm

Hi all :)

I have never lived in Dublin in my life and I dont know Dublin at all. I am potentially going to be offered a job in the D4 area.

I am from Waterford, its a graduate job and I will be taking and I have a wife + baby. Does anyone know a cheapish area to live that is commutable to D4? I mean I dont mean a long commute as long as its not to bad. Commuting I can drive, bus, train.... Not to pushy, just hoping there is somewhere that I can afford...

Would Carlow be to far away? anyway if someone has some advice I would be greatly appreciative :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Might be worth looking at places on the Rosslare train line/N11 - e.g. Arklow. I'm guessing it would be more expensive than Carlow but I don't know by how much, and the transport costs might be lower. Arklow might still look far on a map but I think it would probably be an advantage not having to cross the whole city as you would from Heuston if you were on a train from Carlow, and Wexford Bus seem to run a fairly quick and frequent service from Arklow which is probably cheaper than the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Parking is going to be hard to come by for a graduate job in D4, I imagine. Are you going to be expected to do long hours? If you are going to be working late at all, my advice would be to live near town. A long commute will make both work and family life very hard.

I would suggest looking along the DART line, especially northside. You could go further out the railway line too maybe, or towards Maynooth.

Parking is going to be hard to come by for a graduate job in D4, I imagine. Are you going to be expected to do long hours? If you are going to be working late at all, my advice would be to live near town. A long commute will make both work and family life very hard.

I would suggest looking along the DART line, especially northside. You could go further out the railway line too maybe, or towards Maynooth.

I am not sure about the hours but Id imagine as a graduate I will be worked fairly hard. I suppose a house with a budget of 1k/month is not going to get me anywhere near dublin at all :pac:

I really dont want a long commute but with most of the jobs in my area being in Dublin, having a family and not having a massive budget..... commute could be my only option until I get paid a bit more.

You are in a tough spot here.

Commuting is not free either. It could cost you hundreds of euros a month.

If you can live in a one-bed, there is stuff available in the outskirts for that that sort of money, say Balbriggan but maybe other areas too. If you really need two bedrooms, then I don't think you are going to find anything suitable. You can go further out but your commute will get longer and more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Presuming it's walkable distance from one of the DART stations in D4 (Lansdowne Rd, Sandymount, Sydney Parade) you can get there by train from any of the stations in the SHZ (short hop zone) for a reasonable price. The SHZ goes from Balbriggan to M3 Parkway to Kilcock to Sallins* to Kilcoole.

* Trains from Sallins connect directly with the DART network at peak times only. The rest of the time they terminate in Heuston.

You may need to balance the cost and time of the commute with the cost of accommodation. The further out the cheaper accommodation will be, especially to the west.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Presuming it's walkable distance from one of the DART stations in D4 (Lansdowne Rd, Sandymount, Sydney Parade) you can get there by train from any of the stations in the SHZ (short hop zone) for a reasonable price. The SHZ goes from Balbriggan to M3 Parkway to Kilcock to Sallins* to Kilcoole.

* Trains from Sallins connect directly with the DART network at peak times only. The rest of the time they terminate in Heuston.

You may need to balance the cost and time of the commute with the cost of accommodation. The further out the cheaper accommodation will be, especially to the west.

Yeah I am a complete non Dub :pac: No idea how Dart works, what the trains are like in dublin. I'll have to figure out how Dublin public transport works and see how far out I can live.

Is parking hard to get in around D4? I thought it would be easy :pac: I'm clueless apparently!

Unless work is offering you parking, which is possible but unlikely, you will have to pay for parking.

As above. As well as parking the drive is likely to be torturous.

Yeah I am considering taking a graduate job outside of Dublin and maybe moving to Dublin when I am a little bit more up the pay scale. I will look into moving to Dublin when I get a few years experience and I am a little bit more up the payscale (hopefully).

Thanks for all the advice guys! Cant beat the boards commmunity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Is leaving the wife and kid in Waterford an option? Find somewhere to rent here during the week and head back home for the weekend?

TBH I'd be surprised if you found anywhere suitable for the 3 of you for €1000 per month in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Pelvis wrote: »
    Is leaving the wife and kid in Waterford an option? Find somewhere to rent here during the week and head back home for the weekend?

TBH I'd be surprised if you found anywhere suitable for the 3 of you for €1000 per month in Dublin.

I am not going to miss my daughter growing up to take some job. :)

I gave it consideration and there is different jobs outside of Dublin that pay less but have smaller commutes/less rent, so I think I might just end up taking one of them. I still want to move to dublin though, I'll try get some experience and then move up.

I am not going to miss my daughter growing up to take some job. :)

You can go home at weekends. I did it for a year in the 90s, and don't regret it. Worked well, never would have saved money for the deposit on the house we now live in if I had stayed "down the country". The rent gap was big but the pay gap was bigger.

n97 mini wrote: »
    You can go home at weekends. I did it for a year in the 90s, and don't regret it. Worked well, never would have saved money for the deposit on the house we now live in if I had stayed "down the country". The rent gap was big but the pay gap was bigger.

Yeah you have fair points. I think I will move to Dublin eventually but after some consideration I think I'll do a year or two down the country first, so when I move to Dublin I will at least be on a little higher wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Check out the cost of renting a room around Ringsend or Irishtown and plan to cycle in to D4. Prices have come up in recent years thanks to all the Googlers and Facebookers, but you might still be able to get something in your range.

Check out the cost of renting a room around Ringsend or Irishtown and plan to cycle in to D4. Prices have come up in recent years thanks to all the Googlers and Facebookers, but you might still be able to get something in your range.

Yup, and Brexit is making it worse.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Depending on where your based in D4, parking can be got for 100-150pm, e.g the RDS or the local sports clubs all do monthly rates - but traffic is nuts around rush hour so you'd be better off commuting by dart.

Try Maynooth or Ashtown - easy direct commute to D4 by train.

Yeah after considering it I think I have two options.

1. Rent out a room and leave the wife/kid in Waterford and spend week days in dublin.

2. Just get a job outside of Dublin.

Decisions to be made I suppose, thanks for all the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah after considering it I think I have two options.

1. Rent out a room and leave the wife/kid in Waterford and spend week days in dublin.

2. Just get a job outside of Dublin.

Decisions to be made I suppose, thanks for all the help guys.

Don't forget if doing long hours and/or a long commute you may not get to see much of the baby during the week anyway. With so many video apps you may see more if working in Dublin on your own.

Advertisement