Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do insurance companies look for a 'sold car declaration'?

Options
  • 12-05-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

I have an insurance company looking for me to declare that I sold my last car. Another company did this to me before but they wanted proof that I sold it.

Why would they care? Surely I have the right to own as many uninsured cars as I like as long as I don't drive them on the public road?

Is there any way around this? My old car is still on donedeal and I doubt I'll be able to shift it before the deadline for this sold car declaration runs out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I have an insurance company looking for me to declare that I sold my last car. Another company did this to me before but they wanted proof that I sold it.

Why would they care? Surely I have the right to own as many uninsured cars as I like as long as I don't drive them on the public road?

Is there any way around this? My old car is still on donedeal and I doubt I'll be able to shift it before the deadline for this sold car declaration runs out.

I would imagine its because people try to pull fast ones by using the driving of other cars extension to drive multiple vehicles ie insure one car but have a number of others they drive.

If they have requested it then there is no way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If someone decided to pull such a fast one they would just be driving without insurance and they wouldn't have to pay out anyway, so why would they bother asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe declaring the car off the road for motor tax covers this off as long as you did this and we're truthful from the start.

mickdw wrote: »
    I believe declaring the car off the road for motor tax covers this off as long as you did this and we're truthful from the start.

Tax runs out this month so I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

If you had x amount of uninsured cars they might think that you're motor trading perhaps?

No company would want a motor trader on a private policy.

Are you renewing a policy and the NCB provided notes the reg of the old car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pillphil

Tax runs out this month so I'll give it a go

Think you need 3 months tax to declare it off the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

pillphil wrote: »

No, just declare it off road when the renewal comes and before the current disc expires.

pillphil wrote: »

No, it needs to be taxed and there needs to be less than 1month tax left on it. I suppose it wasn't a bad idea to declare it off the road anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pillphil

My mistake, if tax elapses, you need to pay arrears and three months, then declare it off road. Which makes more sense than what I said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If someone decided to pull such a fast one they would just be driving without insurance and they wouldn't have to pay out anyway, so why would they bother asking?

Well if such a person were to smash into the back of another driver then that would have to be paid.

The person could also transfer ownership to a friend or family member which would remove the restriction that driving of other cars has with relation to ownership.

I don't actually know the reason of course, I'm just postulating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement