Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assignment queried by course director and lecturer

Options
  • 12-05-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi
    sorry this is a bit complicated but bear with me.
    I got a phone call today (from the course director/CD) to say an assignment I handed in at Christmas worth 50 marks corrected by lecturer no.1 raised a number of questions.

(This assignment is part 1 of a 3 parts worth 200 marks in total.)
    No marks given yet as it will be combined with the other parts in the Summer- part 2 an interview, and part 3 a case study) I am in year 2 of a taught Masters.

The assignment was then given to lecturer no.2 and I am now being brought into a meeting with the CD and lecturer no.2.
    I asked CD what the problem was and she said a number of questions based on my assignment from lecturer 1.

She said the questions needed to be answered before it goes to an external examiner. I was instructed to email her after the phone call to say I would attend. I felt she wanted a paper trial.
    On the phone she did not mention plagiarism either.

The only thing I have to go on from the phone call is that 2 questions were related to the assignment that I can answer, but didn't write down in my assignment as I didn't think I needed to explain them.

Should I bring someone into the meeting with me? as it will be the Course Director (who isn't the easiest person to deal with, when you query something) and lecturer no. 2 who is purely academic and doesn't get why anyone would have difficulty with the work.

I have emailed lecturer no.1 asking her for the questions she has raised about my assignment. I have got no email back. Should I ask her to come into meeting also?

What else could they be querying or looking for? The lecturers performance based on my poor work?
    The irony of this was we did a similar assignment in year 1 and were told to copy and paste for the assignment in year 2 which I didn't do.

Sorry this is hard to read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

When you say you didn't bother to explain the questions, what do you mean?

It's very difficult to understand your problem based on your post, but it could be plagiarism related... either down to "not needing to explain" something that should have been referenced, or if you used results in assignment 2 that were related to assignment 1 but did not reference them correctly.

I would ask for a formal explanation of the issue from the course director.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

All sorted.
    Phew!!
    I needed to give more information. I knew it wasn't plagiarism.
    Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That was a rollercoaster ride. Glad you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sounds like you had a borderline grade (may have been very close to 1.1, or 2.1 or something) and they were trying to give you the opportunity to get the marks before it went for external correction and sign off by the exams board. Usually happens with undergrads too.

Advertisement