Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell Bridge northbound right turning lane -- no enforcement

Options
  • 12-05-2017 7:21pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been mentioned on a number of threads that there seems to be zero enforcement on the O'Connell Bridge northbound right turning lane.

Why the lack of enforcement? Is it just being allowed while the works are ongoing with no care for bus passengers?

So, maybe this needs it's own thread... will the bus priority traffic lights on Bachelor's Walk for Eden Quay have any better enforcement?

The live image should be embed below and a screenshot attached of what it was like just after 7pm on Friday -- half taxis but maybe 2-3 private motorists. Other times I've looked it's been full of what seems like normal cars and other times full of taxis.

site16Camera6.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The reality is that it won't be properly enforced until AGS and DCC get with the times and use ANPR to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The long light cycle compounds the issue. Also taxis cutting in and lane skipping in from the "straight on" lane refilling the bus lane as soon as it clears. Leaving the buses stuck on Westmoorland street.

Its a complete joke. Who is responsible for the traffic management in this area during construction? Is it the building contractor?

In fairness to private cars, there is only one small blue sign saying its a bus lane. And its behind some harris fencing . There should be a large no entry sign similar to those on bus gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

The long light cycle compounds the issue. Also taxis cutting in and lane skipping in from the "straight on" lane refilling the bus lane as soon as it clears. Leaving the buses stuck on Westmoorland street.

In fairness to private cars, there is only one small blue sign saying its a bus lane. And its behind some harris fencing . There should be a large no entry sign similar to those on bus gates.

Eh! There's a big bus lane sign painted on the lane itself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Eh! There's a big bus lane sign painted on the lane itself!!

Yes. But with all the fencing and complete mayhem in the area, it could be said that its not clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Yes. But with all the fencing and complete mayhem in the area, it could be said that its not clear enough.

If it had flashing neon signs on it they would still use it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Tickityboo wrote: »
    If it had flashing neon signs on it they would still use it!!

Very true. Look at the massive colourised LED sign prohibiting entry through the College Green bus gate. Matters not a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've seen motorists who get pulled over going through college green say 'I didn't know'. To be quite frank if I were a Garda I'd take their license there and then because they have demonstrated that either a) they are legally blind or b) they are that oblivious to their surroundings and road environment that they cannot be considered sufficiently competent to operate a motor vehicle. Irish culture tolerates this 'I didn't know' stuff though, up to including serious offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bit like College Green Bus Corridor, very little enforcement.

One thing I have seen a lot of lately is cars taking a right turn onto George Street from Dame Street.

Advertisement