Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple - Watch Warranty

Options
  • 12-05-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on this..

I bought an Apple Watch from the Apple store in Northern Ireland around 23 months ago. A couple of weeks ago I unpaired it from my phone, during that process I got an error and the watch bricked itself. (basically it wont boot past the Apple logo)

I spoke with Apple and after a few phone calls and sending a video to their engineers they told me it would need to be serviced at a cost to me of €240.00 as it was out of warranty.

I explained that this fault appeared to be a software bug and the device was immaculate, and free from any damage. The agent referred me to a section of the Apple site which has consumer law details. That seems to imply that my issue should be covered for up to 6 years but it has no details on how I can log the complaint..

I'm unwilling to pay the €240.00, so I was wondering if I have any other options.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You purchased it in person in NI so ROI consumer law is not relevant - the six years is the limitation on ROI consumer law. UK law should have something similar to 2 year protection realistically but I'm not that knowledgeable on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Thanks.

Apple sites has the UK law too, seems to be similar to the Irish set. I'd make the visit to Victoria Square but I'd be worried they'll just stone wall me there too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Xithus wrote: »
    Thanks.

Apple sites has the UK law too, seems to be similar to the Irish set. I'd make the visit to Victoria Square but I'd be worried they'll just stone wall me there too. :rolleyes:

just to add, the link above says the following

Consumer Laws in the United Kingdom

England and Wales: 6 years from date of delivery
    Scotland: 5 years from date of delivery

How to make a claim
    Call or visit your seller*

The * at the bottom of the page says

Consumers who purchased Apple-branded or non-Apple-branded products at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store may be able to claim against Apple. Apple contact details are available here.

The link that t&c shows you is the apple phone number which you've spoken to already.

Maybe call again and quote the above page?

My experience in retail is that a majority of retailers don't offer what you're entitled to and hide behind this whole 1 year limited warranty. I often find asking for a supervisor and speaking to them about your concerns will generally get things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apple have always been very 1yr and thats it in spite of the legislation.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/small-claims/

The UK doesnt have quite the same SCC procedure we do, but this is what you need to threaten if they decide 23months is a reasonable lifetime of a watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hi, I buy all my Apple devices through Victoria Square. I don't take back to the store I just ring up, recently my Beats stopped working in one ear, I was advised of the cost out of warranty, then request an exception under consumer law. Empty box arrived, sent beats back then received new ones couple of days.

You have to set up the repair via the phone, they don't do consumer law ones via chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

thanks all.

I'm dealing with a guy in Apple support directly, he referred me to that page and told me to bring it back to Victoria Square.

I'll push it again and see what he says.

Advertisement