Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 18.10 from Galway to Dublin train.

Options
  • 12-05-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Why does it stop so long in Ballinasloe?

18:56 Arr
    19:16 Dep
    Ballinasloe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

probably waiting for another train from opposite direction on single line track (pure guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Yes possible, but 20 minutes, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not that the 18.10 to Dublin is not a direct train and the 19.20 will arrive 15 minutes lather into Dublin. You have over an hour wait in Athlone to join a service from Westport to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Yes possible, but 20 minutes, really?

Not unheard of, spend 20-25 minutes waiting most weeks on Waterford route.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

probably waiting for another train from opposite direction on single line track (pure guess)

I was honestly shocked when I found out how much of the IE network is single track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Why does it stop so long in Ballinasloe?

18:56 Arr
    19:16 Dep
    Ballinasloe

The 17:30 Heuston-Galway train departs Athlone at 18:57, it looks like that Dublin-bound train you're talking about has to wait in Ballinasloe for it to arrive. Athlone to Ballinasloe is a single track according to Google Earth and I'm not aware that there's any passing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

coylemj wrote: »
    The 17:30 Heuston-Galway train departs Athlone at 18:57, it looks like that Dublin-bound train you're talking about has to wait in Ballinasloe for it to arrive. Athlone to Ballinasloe is a single track according to Google Earth and I'm not aware that there's any passing points.

Correct, 17.30 due into Ballinasloe at 19.14, 18.10 waits there to cross it.

The 18.10 can't even leave Galway 20 minutes later either as it crosses the 16.30 ex Heuston in Athenry which in turn must get to Galway loop in time to cross the 18.40 to Ennis. As a result the 18.10 suffers a 20 minute wait in Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The 18:10 Galway to Athlone crosses the 17:30 Heuston to Galway in Ballinasloe at 19:15.
    The 18:10 arrives at Ballinasloe at 18:56 and the 17:30 arrives at Athlone at 18:57 and as there is a single track between Athlone and Ballinasloe so one of them must wait for the other.

The 18:10 is more of an commuter service out of Galway than an intercity service to Dublin, even though it can be used as one by changing trains in Athlone.

Advertisement