Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled insurance by boxymo.ie

Options
  • 11-05-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys, my girlfriend had her insurance cancelled today by boxymo.ie. The car is fitted with a tracker which boxymo installed. She hasn't been driving the car for the past 3 months and as a result boxymo called claiming she had removed the tracker. When she explained she travelled with work frequently to Spain and that's why there was no movement in the car they claimed she was no longer a resident of Ireland and therefore she was in breach of their underwriting criteria and were cancelling the policy. I have never heard before that you had to live in Ireland a certain amount of time in order to have car insurance. Has anyone heard of this before or point me in the right direction of someone i could speak to? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Most insurers would require that the policy holders primary residence is ROI so they are likely within their rights to invoke cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alfabarry

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Most insurers would require that the policy holders primary residence is ROI so they are likely within their rights to invoke cancellation.

Her primary residence is in Ireland so don't see what the problem is. From reading up on them they look trigger happy when it comes to cancelling policies

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sounds a bit harsh right enough. Are they offering her a pro rata refund for the unused term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Alfabarry wrote: »
    Her primary residence is in Ireland so don't see what the problem is. From reading up on them they look trigger happy when it comes to cancelling policies

She lived in Spain for 3 months, if the policy was only say 4 or 5 months in and she has been abroad for 3 of those months then by logic she has not been living mainly in Ireland.

I agree with the above poster, it is pretty harsh to cancel but we live in a climate where a lot of insurers don't give the benefit of the doubt to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought you had to be out of the country for 183 days before you could be considered non-resident.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

If she's living in Spain as much as if not more than she lives in Ireland then she is not consider a permanent resident and her Insurers are well within their rights to cancel the policy.

Equally if you cannot provide them with proof that she has been off the road you can't expect them to just believe you.

If you claim something you have to be able to back it up.

I'd chalk it up to experience OP and learn from it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why hasn't the car been driven in the last 3 months?

Having a policy cancelled by the insurer isn't a trivial matter, and will have to be disclosed in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For tax purposes only.

If she wasn't using the car for three months, she should have paused it or let them know it wouldn't be in use given it had a tracking device.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    She lived in Spain for 3 months, if the policy was only say 4 or 5 months in and she has been abroad for 3 of those months then by logic she has not been living mainly in Ireland.

I agree with the above poster, it is pretty harsh to cancel but we live in a climate where a lot of insurers don't give the benefit of the doubt to people.

I never mentioned she lived in Spain for 3 months I said the car hadn't moved in 3 months. She lives in Ireland but due to work she travels abroad mainly to Spain like many people in Ireland her works brings her all over the world.

Why hasn't the car been driven in the last 3 months?

Having a policy cancelled by the insurer isn't a trivial matter, and will have to be disclosed in the future.

This is my problem with them. You don't have to drive a car to be insured? Surely you're entitled to drive as much or as little without having to explain why. The reason why she didn't drive is we live in the city centre and I have a car so for those 3 months she had no need to drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

This is my problem with them. You don't have to drive a car to be insured? Surely you're entitled to drive as much or as little without having to explain why. The reason why she didn't drive is we live in the city centre and I have a car so for those 3 months she had no need to drive it.

You cannot keep a car in a public road that is not insured.

I'd take them to the Ombudsman, they have no grounds for cancellation really.

grogi wrote: »

Ya I think that is the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ya I think that is the next step.

Afaik, you have to deal directly with Boxymo in writing first. Object in the strongest terms to them cancelling the insurance. That should create a paper trail. You can the forward a copy of the correspondence to the Insurance Ombudsman. Have a look at their website to see what their modus operandi is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Insurers do not have to state a reason for effecting the cancellation clause in the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Insurers do not have to state a reason for effecting the cancellation clause in the policy

So drag them to the Ombudsman and let explain. Insurers provide service that is mandatory - they need to have some responsibility.

OP did nothing to earn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

So drag them to the Ombudsman and let explain. Insurers provide service that is mandatory - they need to have some responsibility.

OP did nothing to earn it.

If (I don't know and neither do you) a policy condition was breached, then the policyholder may well have earned it.

It does sound harsh, but if you have obtained cover or a reduced premium on the basis that you are able to transmit confirmation that you are driving within the agreed limits, they might have a valid case

Advertisement