Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok for very first guitar?

Options
  • 10-05-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i have wanted to learn the guitar for years and was always afraid it would be too difficult to learn but i said f**k it im going to bit the bullet and buy one.

god did i get a shock when i began to look at what i could buy. after alot of will i get an acoustic or an electric i decided on an electric as its the kind of sound i like in the music i listen to.

i visited a few shops and got a load of advice but all the ones i looked at were about 250-300 for guitar,amp and Accessories. while i can see myself paying that and more for a guitar its not what i want to spend on my first one as i will be learning and want to get the run of things before i spend big money.

so my question is what is something like this like for a complete beginner

https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_st_20hss_ca_standard_set_1.htm

bare in mind i have no intention of playing live or even with my friends until i feel im good enough. so would the likes of the above be good enough to learn on and rock out on my own with? when i say beginner i mean total beginner!!!

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

My recommendation would be to buy a well know low-mid brand, used.
    The reason being you may only loose 10%c. If/whenever it gets sold on.
    The two most popular low-mid ranges are:

Guitar A: Fender 'Squire' (a lite version of the full standard 'Strat').
    Guitar B: Epiphone LP (a lite version of a Gibson LP).

A nice wee amp is the Fender Mustang 20w, 8" speaker and it makes a good range of noises and best of all it weighs next to nothing.
    A shop may even do used stuff and check it over for you.

If you're EVH then Ibanez are great for whammy action and do some v.good low range models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

My recommendation would be to buy a well know low-mid brand, used.
    The reason being you may only loose 10%c. If/whenever it gets sold on.
    The two most popular low-mid ranges are:

Guitar A: Fender 'Squire' (a lite version of the full standard 'Strat').
    Guitar B: Epiphone LP (a lite version of a Gibson LP).

A nice wee amp is the Fender Mustang 20w, 8" speaker and it makes a good range of noises and best of all it weighs next to nothing.
    A shop may even do used stuff and check it over for you.

If you're EVH then Ibanez are great for whammy action and do some v.good low range models.

forgive me but i dont understand evh or whammy action

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

That Thomann kit is fine. It's not amazing, but I started on something even worse.

EVH - Edward Van Halen
    Whammy action - Using a tremelo on a guitar to change the pitch of the strings for showing off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I got a very similar kit of Thomann a few years back as my starting kit. Amp that came with it was terrible so I got a roland cube. It was actually fine sounding clean, but with any effects it wasn't great. A year later I got an Epiphone LP and I was very happy with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I see no problems really with starting out on something like that kit tbh, those guitars are cheap & cheerful but are usually quite good.
    The type of guitar you are looking at there is a stratocaster style and has a tremolo bridge fitted (where the strings meet the body of the guitar) - the downside of these is that tuning can be difficult at times (in my experience anyway)
    It might be a bit easier to stick to a guitar with a fixed bridge e.g. this one, but if you prefer the look of the red one go for it!

Some people will pour scorn on the Harley Bentons as cheap crap, and I was one of the people until I got to play a few. To be honest the quality & sound of them is a lot better than I expected. They may not last as long as a €1000 guitar but for starting off they are fine.

Cant say anything about the amps, havent used them but for house playing/practise they should be fine once they have a clean channel & a headphone output.
    Happy playing!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the reply.

Another thought that came into my head was buying just an amp and guitar and trying to stretch my budget a little more but I have a question

Could someone explain to me what the difference between an st and a t model and a single or double cut model?

Also I see on fenders website a bullet strat what is the difference in that,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the reply.

Another thought that came into my head was buying just an amp and guitar and trying to stretch my budget a little more but I have a question

Could someone explain to me what the difference between an st and a t model and a single or double cut model?

Assisi I see on fenders website a bullet strat what is the difference in that,
    St model is like a Stratocaster and t model is like a telecastor.

I would spend a little more on guitar and less on amp starting off. However its worth noting that the sound you expect will be generated by the amp and getting one with a few effects built in may save u in short term.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_st_62_mn_bk_vintage_series.htm?r=app

https://youtu.be/mbvfZ29OOMg

Thiis is worth thinking about. Not too loud and can be used as phone speaker also.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/blackstar_fly_3_bluetooth_mini_am_bundle.htm?r=app

To be honest if it was me id spend my budget getting the best guitar i can within that budget. Id buy second hand. I wouldn't get an amp until i know a little more. You can pick up a really cheap second hand one if u must. It will just sound like noise until u get a bit better.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Thiis is worth thinking about. Not too loud and can be used as phone speaker also.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/blackstar_fly_3_bluetooth_mini_am_bundle.htm?r=app

Forgot about that Fly3, it's one of the very, very few stereo-wide amps out there, and one of the few that can play true-stereo from phones. Only 6w and only has delay and gain controls, but that may well be enough.

2nd hand is the best value, generally re-selling a Squire/Epi is slightly faster than HB/Vintage brands. Ask your local store if they stock 'used' well-known brands, and ask for a free padded case. The Fly3 is generally web-only but cheap enough new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭LeBash

I gig with Harvey benton deluxe guitars. 2 reasons, 1 they sound pretty good, 2 if they get stroked, you're down 180 to 200 and not 500-silly money.

The deluxe range are top notch for the money and I'd recommend for starting.

Try get a half decent amp as the one in the set would basically be unsellable except to someone starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

If it was me I would buy one of these three https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_hbms60_vw.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_hbt1952.htm?ref=ftr_sb_223985_recommended
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_sc_450_p90_gt_classic_series.htm

I own and play the telecaster TE 52 as much as I play any of my Gibsons or Fenders. I would rate it very close to the Classic vibe teles and an absolute steal for the money , I also have one of the SC 450 Les Pauls which is also very good and pretty much on par as your standard Epiphone .

If your stuck to a Strat the ST 20 would be lower quality to the 62

as for the amp get a used Microcube or the Blackstar fly

I am looking at a second hand fender squire affinity strat and a line 6 spider IV 15 watt amp on Monday.

From what I read on line both should be good makes?

I am looking at a second hand fender squire affinity strat and a line 6 spider IV 15 watt amp on Monday.

From what I read on line both should be good makes?

Fairly decent if lower priced combo, the amp has lots of effects and isn't too loud/bulky, Line6 have a fairly decent but not outstanding review base, this model is received fairly well.

The 'Affinity' range is on the lower end of the squire ranges, usually China made rather than Indonesia or korean etc. The 'standard' Squire (not to be confused with the 'standard' Strat-Stratocsater) is better but costs more.

Thus you shouldn't may very much for these two, compare prices to similar adverts of the 'affinity' model to gauge an idea, ask for free padded bag and always bargain down further than advertised. If it's from a shop they'll usually check over their used goods, and tune it up.

http://www.adverts.ie/12791121

That's the one I'm going to look at. 40 euro cheaper than the Harley Denton that was suggested to me. I'm sure I can pick up a strap and whatever else closer to home.

My thinking is with the above ad i can try it before i buy it

That's the one I'm going to look at. 40 euro cheaper than the Harley Denton that was suggested to me. I'm sure I can pick up a strap and whatever else closer to home.

Can't really complain about the price that it's at. Eye up that stand also, in case it's not needed. In 2yrs or so you'll be able to sell it on for the same price anyway. Cling film and taped plastic bags work as emergency flight travel cases. It's still a 200 note guitar if bought new, as these have a good brand behind them.

That should be fine to start. Nothing wrong with it. You should be able to sell on again later if you out grow it. Make sure u hear it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That looks like a good choice to me. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Thats a good deal, Perfect for starting out .

As I'm a complete novice what should I be looking out for when inspecting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

As I'm a complete novice what should I be looking out for when inspecting it

Throw your eye down the neck to check it's not completely warped. Plug it in, and check you've sound.

Chances are it'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

The strangest thing happened today. I just happened to be down in portloaise and came across a music shop so I went in for a nose at what electric guitars were in there.

I ended up buying a Brunswick acoustic guitar. I can't explain it I was so set on getting an electric but when I seen it I had to get it.
    I attached a pic of it.

On a side note I had been told in one of the music shops I visited that if I put a half an hour a day in for 3 months I would be able to play fairly well.

I know everyone learns differently but it seemed like a reasonable time frame. I was talk to a friend at the weekend and he said I would need to spend at least an hour a day for a year before I would be able to play anything that wasn't just noise.

Can anyone tell me there experience with learning guitar I wouilf like to hear some others experience as the two I have been told are miles apart

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

The strangest thing happened today. I just happened to be down in portloaise and came across a music shop so I went in for a nose at what electric guitars were in there.

I ended up buying a Brunswick acoustic guitar. I can't explain it I was so set on getting an electric but when I seen it I had to get it.
    I attached a pic of it.

On a side note I had been told in one of the music shops I visited that if I put a half an hour a day in for 3 months I would be able to play fairly well.

I know everyone learns differently but it seemed like a reasonable time frame. I was talk to a friend at the weekend and he said I would need to spend at least an hour a day for a year before I would be able to play anything that wasn't just noise.

Can anyone tell me there experience with learning guitar I wouilf like to hear some others experience as the two I have been told are miles apart

First of all, it's a good looking guitar, best of luck with it.

Secondly, I got as far as "half an hour" in your post and though "that really should be an hour".

Although I wouldn't feel the need to limit it to just an hour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I believe natural talent is real, and makes a big difference. Starting off you don't need a good ear for music, but finger dexterity and natural rhythm help a lot. Anyone who really has zero talent for music, rhythm, dexterity etc can still become a very good guitar player, they just have to work harder! But zero talent, like exceptional talent, is rare. Whatever your own natural abilities are, and how hard you work at it, will determine how long it takes.

You should be able to play a simple tune on one string almost straight away, with an hour or two of practice. Learning your first few chords, and getting comfortable strumming, will take longer. But a target of being able to play a few songs using combinations of 3 or 4 basic chords within a couple of months sounds reasonable.

One advantage of learning on acoustic is that it tends to sound pretty good when you are a beginner, if you can strum a couple of chords cleanly it sounds great (as long as the guitar is in tune!) Electric guitar is much less forgiving, and can sound quite noisy and messy if your technique is not good.

I'd suggest learning a couple of one-or two-string tunes to start off (twinkle twinkle little star etc), then learn a couple of chords shapes, and practice playing each chord cleanly and switching between them, while also learning a couple of simple strumming patterns. Once you can do that, it just a case of adding more chords, until you decide what direction you want to go next: lead guitar, fingerstyle, rock riffs etc. Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Better off starting out on an acoustic :)

ok so i have had my acoustic for about 7 weeks now and i have had a few lessons and im doing ok can transition between a/d/e and nearly G(that is a though one pinky never wants to cooperate and dont even get me started on C:eek::o ) but anywho i have a problem i have learned a few songs wonderwall/for what its worth/ bad moon rising and 3 little birds. all fairly easy songs but with the exception of wonderwall i dont like the sound of the acoustic when i play it mainly because all do i love most music my real passion is metal music and while you can play itt on an acoustic it sounds better on electric. so where is the question in all this:

should i abandon acoustic and buy an electric?

or

should i stick with acoustic and try to play better and learn more chords?

i know alot will say its a personal choice but im just looking for someone elses perspective cause i cant make up my mind

Your not yet at a point where going electric will be an advantage. You need to know all the major and minor chords either way.

I think it would be wrong to just learn power chords. However if your really interested in metal and rock then having an electric along with the acoustic is not a problem. If your budget can do it. If not just wait until it does. I wouldn't get rid of the acoustic. Youll regret it later.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Your not yet at a point where going electric will be an advantage. You need to know all the major and minor chords either way.

I think it would be wrong to just learn power chords. However if your really interested in metal and rock then having an electric along with the acoustic is not a problem. If your budget can do it. If not just wait until it does. I wouldn't get rid of the acoustic. Youll regret it later.

no i should have said that at the start i would keep the acoustic and buy the electric. I know i will be learning and perfecting my playing for the rest of my life.

i suppose my worry is will switching now effect my learning?

no i should have said that at the start i would keep the acoustic and buy the electric. I know i will be learning and perfecting my playing for the rest of my life.

i suppose my worry is will switching now effect my learning?

No i wouldn't think so. If you have the cash i don't see anything wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The perfect number of guitars (or bicycles) is the number you currently have + 1

Play both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 guitarguy18

I have a squier. Im new to guitar and really love it

Advertisement