Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught in a trap!

Options
  • 10-05-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, this may be long winded, but I wanted to get as much information in as possible in order to try get accurate feedback. I am 22 years old, never been to college. I have been working full time since I was 19 and I am completely independent from my parents, and have been since 19. I have a car loan, rent, bills etc. I've wanted to do a beauty therapy course as I am so passionate about it, and want to make a career out of it. The issue is, in order to do the course, I have to leave my job, but if I leave my job, I can't cover basic living costs. As I am 22, I am not classed as independent and they base it on my parents income, even though I have not relied on them in almost 4 years. I can't get a grant anyways as beauty therapy courses are not state funded. Also, I cannot get BTEA as it only applies to people returning to state funded colleges. It has taken my all this time to save to pay for the actual course itself, but I won't be able to pay for basic living costs. Does anyone know is there any payments I would be entitled to? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

If its not an approved course ya wont get support from Department of Social protection, you could try them though,

Then try SUSI, they have a page on here so you could ask their reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The only real tangible thing I've dug up is DSP's training support grant.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Training-Support-Grant.aspx

Difficulties being it requires you to be unemployed and the fact it caps out at 500, which is not going to cover much.

Advertisement