Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass size in pub

Options
  • 08-05-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the thoughts are on this.

I asked for "a pint of Sierra Nevada" in a bar on Saturday night. Was charged €6.20. Took it down to my seat and after drinking a few mouthfuls thought the glass was a bit small. Next time I went up I asked was it in fact a pint glass and he said "no, it's a 16oz schooner". So approx 3/4 of a pint. Bit rich I thought. Would've at least been good manners to say you don't get a pint of Sierra Nevada.

Got me thinking of about glass sizes, measures, etc. Are they within their right to serve random draught amounts?

I see their website makes no mention of sizes. Just lumps them all together. http://thewhitworth.ie/menu/drinks/

I'm sure there's probably nothing dodgy but if it saves somebody else paying through the nose for 3/4s of a pint then it's worth posting. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If you asked for a pint you should have been given a pint, or told up front "we don't serve that in pints" and given the option of the schooner.

But giving you less than you asked for without telling you and without advertising it isn't on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A lot of places in Europe (probably beyond) do large beer and small beer. In that case getting an odd sized glass would be OK but in Ireland the standard is pint and half pint so if they don't have them they should make that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

They do have pint glasses because I switched fairly lively to something else, which was a euro cheaper too.

I think maybe with it being 5.6% vol if you wanted a pint they'd charge about €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes they should definitely tell you in advance. It happens with strong beers and I have always been clearly told in advance, I ask for a pint of say Leffe and they tell me its only in halfs or some other size
    podge018 wrote: »
    I think maybe with it being 5.6% vol if you wanted a pint they'd charge about ?8.
    that menu also has 7% brain blasta and I bet you get a full pint. They can have signs up for brain blasta saying they will only serve you so many pints.

In the beer forum the issue came up before, they were serving "pints" in US pint glasses 473 ml instead of 568ml

They can serve random amounts but should clearly say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes they should definitely tell you in advance. It happens with strong beers and I have always been clearly told in advance, I ask for a pint of say Leffe and they tell me its only in halfs or some other size

that menu also has 7% brain blasta and I bet you get a full pint. They can have signs up for brain blasta saying they will only serve you so many pints.

In the beer forum the issue came up before, they were serving "pints" in US pint glasses 473 ml instead of 568ml

They can serve random amounts but should clearly say it.

Really?

• Advertisement

Really?

yeah, think it was on the menu and/or on a chalk board in the porterhouse. I think it was 2-3 pints. Think it was half joking to get people talking, and to be seen to "be responsible", but could allow them turn down say a rowdy stag party guzzling the stuff, it was pretty cheap considering the %. I am sure if you were not locked they would serve you more than the alleged limit.

rubadub wrote: »
    yeah, think it was on the menu and/or on a chalk board in the porterhouse. I think it was 2-3 pints. Think it was half joking to get people talking, and to be seen to "be responsible", but could allow them turn down say a rowdy stag party guzzling the stuff, it was pretty cheap considering the %. I am sure if you were not locked they would serve you more than the alleged limit.

they must have been taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

It's not the most uncommon thing really, I've been in bars where they'll refuse to serve you more than two or three "Zombie" cocktails, again on account of the strength.
    I was served more than that, but another guy at the bar who was well pished didn't get served beyond the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Some prices are based on the drink rather than a pint. They should have what price per ml like how shops are required to display price per kilo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Isn't there some archaic law that they are required to display prices for drinks (and sizes)??

As far as I remember thats why you see those small (a3) sized sheets on the wall with list of prices in pubs....flashy menus are just that...flashy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

IIRC there was an almost identical thread in the Beer forum before with lots of info in it. I'm on the app so can't link but it's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Dial Hard wrote: »
    IIRC there was an almost identical thread in the Beer forum before with lots of info in it. I'm on the app so can't link but it's worth checking out.

Pretty sure you are right and IIRC it was said that SN branded glasses being distributed from America are smaller owing to a US pint being 16oz while we have a 20oz.

daheff wrote: »
    Isn't there some archaic law that they are required to display prices for drinks (and sizes)??

As far as I remember thats why you see those small (a3) sized sheets on the wall with list of prices in pubs....flashy menus are just that...flashy.

the smaller list is a sample of the most common drinks ordered that must be displayed near the door.

here is the thread from the beer forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057692677

they must have been taking the piss.
    it did not look jokey. Some pubs will only serve strong drinks in half pints, I have seen people at bars get arsey asking for it, even ordering 2 halves and pouring into 1 pint glass. The till might not be able to easily take a request for a pint if its usually served as a US pint, but he should be able to ring in 2 halves and pour in a single pint glass -but the barmen refuse.
    the smaller list is a sample of the most common drinks ordered that must be displayed near the door.

they have to list 16 drinks, and it does not have be be the best selling ones, though it usually is.

They are also meant to have a full list.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html
    A 16 item list of prices needs to be displayed prominently either inside or directly outside the entrance of the premises. The following is a list of 16 items that need to be displayed by publicans to comply with the order:

Pint (568 ml) of draught stout
    Pint (568ml) of draught ale
    Pint (568 ml) of draught lager
    Pint (568ml) of draught cider
    Bottle (330ml) of stout
    Bottle (330ml) of ale
    Bottle (330ml) of lager
    Bottle (330ml) of cider
    Measure (35.5ml) of whiskey
    Measure (35.5ml) of gin
    Measure (35.5ml) of vodka
    Bottle (200ml) of carbonated drink
    Bottle (200ml) of carbonated cola drink
    Bottle (113ml) of a mixer
    Bottle (250ml) of water
    A bottle (187ml) of wine
    Both the 16 item and the comprehensive list need to be clear and visible to customers. That means the price lists must be displayed in a prominent position where anyone could reasonably see them. The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission surveys licensed premises to ensure their compliance with the law. It can prosecute publicans and licensees who are found to be in breach of the Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know that bottles are different because there are different sizes but I thought that draught beer had to be sold in pints or half pints? Clearly if not then it will lead to the situation described by the OP - you ask for a pint and they fob you off with some class of a glass that's less than a pint without telling you.

What's the point in honest publicans paying for stamped glasses (certified capacity) if the guy next door can legally sell short measures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hardly archaic to compel a retailer to display their prices up front to potential customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    I know that bottles are different because there are different sizes but I thought that draught beer had to be sold in pints or half pints?

Pretty sure we got rid of that requirement when we brought in the idea of a "pint" and "half pint" existing in metric. Legislation only, as far as I can see, defines the pint for that purpose but does not have any requirement on what sub-divisions are or aren't allowed. Only have to ensure that people get what is advertised basically.

UK only changed it recently after campaigning by craft breweries, as there's plenty of beers that really should only be drunk in smaller amounts - very high abv% or super-sours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I know that bottles are different because there are different sizes but I thought that draught beer had to be sold in pints or half pints? Clearly if not then it will lead to the situation described by the OP - you ask for a pint and they fob you off with some class of a glass that's less than a pint without telling you.

What's the point in honest publicans paying for stamped glasses (certified capacity) if the guy next door can legally sell short measures?

The guy next door can legally sell in whatever measures he wants as long as it's made clear to the customer what they're buying. A fair few pubs do it, especially with stronger beer. But any time I've ordered they've always been extremely clear about the smaller size.

Giving someone who's specifically asked for a pint something smaller is something different though.

Jayop wrote: »
    Hardly archaic to compel a retailer to display their prices up front to potential customers.

I meant archaic in that it was a really old law, not that its a crazy idea!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I meant archaic in that it was a really old law, not that its a crazy idea!

Its neither - it was only introduced in the last 20 years, possibly less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I know that bottles are different because there are different sizes but I thought that draught beer had to be sold in pints or half pints?

In the UK draught beer can only be sold as 1/3 pint, 1/2 pint or as a multiple of either. But we've no such restriction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

markc1184 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you are right and IIRC it was said that SN branded glasses being distributed from America are smaller owing to a US pint being 16oz while we have a 20oz.

Pints in the US and here have the same amount of oz in them, the US oz is smaller than the UK one.

The thing that always gets me is that when I pour a 500ml can into a pint glass it fills to the same level as when I order a pint, 568ml. Are we supposed to be sold a pint or 500ml and the head? Some UK glasses have a pint mark below the top to allow for the head.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Pints in the US and here have the same amount of oz in them, the US oz is smaller than the UK one.
    US pints do have less US fluid oz in them and the amount of UK fluid oz in a UK pint. And the US fluid oz is slightly larger than the UK fluid oz.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Del2005 wrote: »

The thing that always gets me is that when I pour a 500ml can into a pint glass it fills to the same level as when I order a pint, 568ml. Are we supposed to be sold a pint or 500ml and the head? Some UK glasses have a pint mark below the top to allow for the head.

There's no rule on this per se but the industry-accepted practice is that the head can make up up to 5% of the height of the beer in the glass and the customer is entitled request a top-up when the head settles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Quackster wrote: »
    There's no rule on this per se but the industry-accepted practice is that the head can make up up to 5% of the height of the beer in the glass and the customer is entitled request a top-up when the head settles.

Or a flake before it settles.

Jayop wrote: »

its from before i started drinking in pubs(just)...so i'm calling it archaic :D

Advertisement