Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA what happens in summer

Options
  • 08-05-2017 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    I'm currently on BTEA, and just wondering what happens when the summer holidays start in regards the payment? I understand they stop? but do you have to reapply for job-seekers allowance? or do you go back on the payment you were originally on before receiving BTEA...as i was on carers, but i'm no longer caring for that person as i'm attending full time education?

any knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You should've, or might still, receive a letter from the schemes office asking you for the dates in which you finish this year (last day of exams/assignments rather than classes), whether you're going back next and if you intend to continue your claim. Not sure about carer's allowance, but within the same letter, you get a separate form asking if you want to claim JSA for the Summer and you've just got to fill it out confirming your circumstances remain the same. In that case, it's exactly the same claim as before you embarked on BTEA.

As to how that manifests, there's different stories. I've heard of many just having their bank payment stopped and having to collect their claim from the post office, but others, including me, just had BTEA by another name, where your JSA payment would just roll into your bank account for however long you're claiming it over the Summer. You'll still have to sign-on like it's JSA (generally once over the break), but otherwise it's exactly the same as your BTEA payment. I've asked why this is but nothing really concrete has come up.

Again, the carer aspect is foreign to me, but best of luck with it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

Thank you for getting back to me I really appreciate it. Yes I did get a letter asking me when I finish and when I go back but never got the separate form with in that letter, I'm going to head into the SWO when I finish my exams and see what the craic is... thanks so much for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Thank you for getting back to me I really appreciate it. Yes I did get a letter asking me when I finish and when I go back but never got the separate form with in that letter, I'm going to head into the SWO when I finish my exams and see what the craic is... thanks so much for your help

Any update on how you got on in this regard? I'm on Back to education allowance and have submitted the form with the relevant dates for end of college year etc but yet to receive a letter to let me know what date I start collecting from the post office and what date to sign on. Not sure what to do?

Out of the blue I received a text message to say I must sign on tomorrow at DSP even though I have yet to receive any payments via the post office as a job seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boekind

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Any update on how you got on in this regard? I'm on Back to education allowance and have submitted the form with the relevant dates for end of college year etc but yet to receive a letter to let me know what date I start collecting from the post office and what date to sign on. Not sure what to do?

Out of the blue I received a text message to say I must sign on tomorrow at DSP even though I have yet to receive any payments via the post office as a job seeker.

Usually they will continue to make the payments directly into your bank account over the summer.
    They don't normally get you to sign on during the summer either, each summer I would get at least one text reminder like yourself but when I go in they tell me they sent it by mistake and that I didn't need to come in. This varies between offices so I'd still recommend you go in tomorrow just encase.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

boekind wrote: »
    Usually they will continue to make the payments directly into your bank account over the summer.
    They don't normally get you to sign on during the summer either, each summer I would get at least one text reminder like yourself but when I go in they tell me they sent it by mistake and that I didn't need to come in. This varies between offices so I'd still recommend you go in tomorrow just encase.

Cheers mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement