Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry picker

Options
  • 08-05-2017 8:54am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does a cherry picker need a doe.thanks.

Kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Not as such. It's a GA3 form of certification every 12 months. By law if you hire one of these you must be provided with the cert by the hire company. This is for a MEWP only. You still need a GA3 for the hoist part of a truck mounted hoist and a DOE for the lorry section. So in effect you would have 2 certs for truck mounted equipment i.e.: hoist, hi-abs, winches etc etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Not as such. It's a GA3 form of certification every 12 months. By law if you hire one of these you must be provided with the cert by the hire company. This is for a MEWP only. You still need a GA3 for the hoist part of a truck mounted hoist and a DOE for the lorry section. So in effect you would have 2 certs for truck mounted equipment i.e.: hoist, hi-abs, winches etc etc

Who gives you a ga3 if the van has no doe for road use

It's an independent inspector usually the insurance company appoints one if your a business. If not you can hire a freelance inspector to certify it. The van will only need a doe if it's on the public road so if your working on private property by rights you only need a cert for the hoist portion. You might run in to trouble getting the van from A to B.

It's an independent inspector usually the insurance company appoints one if your a business. If not you can hire a freelance inspector to certify it. The van will only need a doe if it's on the public road so if your working on private property by rights you only need a cert for the hoist portion. You might run in to trouble getting the van from A to B.

Thanks.on own property at the moment for tree limping and such. What's the cost of a freelance inspection and very. Is it a pass,fail situation and cost as similar to Doe,Not.
    Thanks
    Tim

Not sure of the cost as we get it done in house. The report will issue a list of defects and recommendations for repair or replacement. The machine will be retested after the repairs are carried out. So during this time you will be using an uncertified machine. If your friendly with any of the hire shops near you they could put you in touch with the lad they use. Might work out cheaper if he was testing in the area that day rather than doing a one off call out to you. On a side note just because you have a cert for the machine doesn't mean it's fit to work everytime you want to use it. Your still responsible for doing your daily checks before use and god forbid anything happens the HSA will look for your daily check sheet your supposed to fill out before use. Also have you done a bucket escape course and have all the rescue equipment. I know this might sound like scare mongering but I have witnessed first hand a HSA investigation after a small accident involving a 45ft MEWP and god they turned up every small thing possible

• Advertisement

Not sure of the cost as we get it done in house. The report will issue a list of defects and recommendations for repair or replacement. The machine will be retested after the repairs are carried out. So during this time you will be using an uncertified machine. If your friendly with any of the hire shops near you they could put you in touch with the lad they use. Might work out cheaper if he was testing in the area that day rather than doing a one off call out to you. On a side note just because you have a cert for the machine doesn't mean it's fit to work everytime you want to use it. Your still responsible for doing your daily checks before use and god forbid anything happens the HSA will look for your daily check sheet your supposed to fill out before use. Also have you done a bucket escape course and have all the rescue equipment. I know this might sound like scare mongering but I have witnessed first hand a HSA investigation after a small accident involving a 45ft MEWP and god they turned up every small thing possible
    Appreciate the advice.giving expert advice is not scaremongering in my opinion.thank-you.No on the courses at the moment. But will take it onboard. Vehicle has onboard emergency hand powered valve,as well as battery back up motor, and bucket as well as vehicle controls. Plus ground based assistance always.This is why I'm looking at getting a proper inspect on the lift. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Is it the Uk ur in op?

No problem your welcome

Is it the Uk ur in op?
    no.
    Good old Emerald Isle

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

All Please note "if you are lifting people the test is every six months" if you are lifting materials it is every 12 months.

All working at height related equipment (except scaffolding on completion of erection and every 7days there after except after abnormal event or severe weather where it will be recertified) must be certified every six months, With recorded weekly GA3 inspections by a competent individual, and proof of a preuse inspection by the operator.

• Advertisement

stock> wrote: »
    All Please note "if you are lifting people the test is every six months" if you are lifting materials it is every 12 months.

All working at height related equipment (except scaffolding on completion of erection and every 7days there after except after abnormal event or severe weather where it will be recertified) must be certified every six months, With recorded weekly GA3 inspections by a competent individual, and proof of a preuse inspection by the operator.
    Thanks for the head's up..

So as a safety conscious individual, and using this for my own property's maintainence, what particular test should I be considering...is it Ga3 or is there something else.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

On the domestic front the HSA don't usually get involved, however if it is a place of work then they have full access. If you are using it for yourself privately then I doubt if they be interested (but the law still stands).
    If however you loan it or let someone use it on your property or elsewhere all bets are off and you will be held accountable.
    You also have a duty of care to others affected by your actions (work), so be careful.

Under the legislation you must use certified equipment (GA3) with a preuse inspection and you also need to have a rescue plan in place etc .
    As I said previously all working at height equipment harnesses, lanyards, scaffold hooks must be also certified inspected weekly(recorded) and checked prior to use..................

stock> wrote: »
    On the domestic front the HSA don't usually get involved, however if it is a place of work then they have full access. If you are using it for yourself privately then I doubt if they be interested (but the law still stands).
    If however you loan it or let someone use it on your property or elsewhere all bets are off and you will be held accountable.
    You also have a duty of care to others affected by your actions (work), so be careful.

Under the legislation you must use certified equipment (GA3) with a preuse inspection and you also need to have a rescue plan in place etc .
    As I said previously all working at height equipment harnesses, lanyards, scaffold hooks must be also certified inspected weekly(recorded) and checked prior to use..................
    Appreciated,thanks.

Tim

Despite my best efforts and contacting 3 or more well known, well advertised, engineers engaged in this type
    of machinery inspection and servicing........Not One, replied to my requests for information about what I needed
    and a suitable quotation for their involvement and time.

Health and safety me arse..........oops:P

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

What you need is simple..ish.

- Machine needs to comply with CE/EU regs applicable at the time of manufacture, and a copy of this cert is ideally retained for the life of the machine
    - Machine must have a certificate of thorough inspection (aka GA1), issued by a competent person within the past 6 months
    - Machine must have an operators inspection declaration within the past 7 days (aka GA3)
    - Operator must be adequately trained (IPAF or similar training completed)
    - Operator must have suitable PPE, including inspection certificates for harnesses and lanyards
    - There must be documentation in place regarding the use of the machine, rescue plans, and details for emergency situations such as a machine breakdown while at height
    - There should be a person at ground level at all times who can operate the emergency controls, and who maintains contact with the person(s) at height at regular intervals

A pre use inspection is not law AFAIK, just the GA3 weekly declaration. However most operator courses insist upon it.

Just when you mention "personal use", some home insurance policies cover works at height from ladders, but not from MEWPs. Stupid I know, but that's how it is. Best to check with your own if this is your situation.

Thanks,

You have a lot of " needs and musts there". But if a person cannot get a competent individual to even reply
    to my request for guidance or inspection, then i am at nothing.

If you want to pm me I can put you in touch with someone local to you that can certify the machine, it's a part of my job and I've built up a lot of contacts over the years all over Ireland and the UK.

As for operator training, DoneDeal is your man or Google. You sound like you don't need training such as IPAF, however if you don't have prior experience operating these machines or would like to take what I would deem to be consistently high quality training then it may be the way to go.

All the other things I mentioned re rescue plans, method statements and risk assessments really fall under a health and safety consultant or someone who has relevant qualifications and experience to deal with such things.

Appreciate the info.

Will the inspection give me a report on the current safety aspect of the machine,
    and any necessary recommendations to bring it up to certification.

Rather like an NCT for cherry pickers. Or is it a yes it passes, no it fails.

And whats the main criteria schedule for the test, and whats it likely to cost.

Any guidance is very helpful.

Tim

Pm sent

Well to date , not one person of all my contacts have got back to me with anything.

It must be an irish thing, embedded in the psyche. Cant be arsed syndrome.

So work is nearly finished at this stage , cert or no.........

tim

kadman wrote: »
    Appreciate the info.

Will the inspection give me a report on the current safety aspect of the machine,
    and any necessary recommendations to bring it up to certification.

Rather like an NCT for cherry pickers. Or is it a yes it passes, no it fails.

And whats the main criteria schedule for the test, and whats it likely to cost.

Any guidance is very helpful.

Tim

Pm sent

The inspection report will vary. Some will be very thorough and note the exact current condition, while others will do the minimum required and ascertain that the machine is fit for use on that day. Which is where we come to another important consideration; an inspection is a report on the day it is completed, and after that, responsibility returns to you to ensure that the machine remains serviceable and safe in the interim between statutory inspections.

As for the pass/fail, Ireland has followed the definitive route. Not by regulation, but by the habit of persons preparing reports. So you are more than likely going to get someone who will not issue a certificate without the machine being up to standard. On the other hand, I am beginning more and more to see the UK style of defect classes coming in over here, where any issues are classified as Class A (Danger to persons), Class B (Likely to become a danger to persons before the next report) and Class C (May become a class B/A defect before the next report).

I don't particularly like this system as it muddies the water, and if you get a cert that has defects listed like that then you make sure you keep proof of repairs along with the cert and in your office, as otherwise, you have nothing to prove the machine was brought up to standard before use.

From the IPAF Competent Assessment Persons Manual, I have included the inspection requirements below:
    The major inspection should consider but not be limited to:
    i) The safety instructions and manuals for operation and maintenance applicable at the time of inspection
    ii) Controls and emergency stop
    iii) Detailed examination of all wire ropes and chains
    iv) Detailed visual inspection of all structural components
    v) Non-destructive testing of structural components as identified by the manufacturer and other suspect areas for evidence of cracking due to fatigue or excessive stress
    vi) Structural, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control and operational anomalies
    vii) Components whose maintenance records indicate repeated failures
    viii) Braking systems
    ix) Work platform levelling systems
    x) Work platform, guardrails and access gate
    xi) Manufacturer’s safety upgrades and bulletins
    xii) Secondary and emergency retrieval systems
    xiii) Tolerance checking of wearing components
    xiv) Checks for corrosion and environmental degradation
    xv) Inspection of components which may have been replaced previously
    xvi) The specific safety devices of the MEWP

Cost I won't go into here as rates vary quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Still nothing from anyone.

But have made inroads into sourcing the original full operators manuals.

Complete with safety requirements and original parts spec and lists ect.

So making slow progress in personal safety requirements for myself and this machine.

Not a single reply from any IE based expert, not one .
    Despite both phone contact and e mails, left messages ect.

I,ve had more prompt courteous replies from both UK and US companies involved
    in the same area of my enquiries, on the same day of my contact.

Needless to say I wont be dealing with any IE company......
    ... even if i could contact them.

Advertisement