Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Graphics Card Advice

Options
  • 08-05-2017 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my GTX970 to GTX1070 can I just get the graphics card or do I need to upgrade more or all components?

This is my current setup:

Intel Core i5 4460
    ASRock H97 Pro4
    MSI GeForce GTX 970
    PSU 530 Watt be quiet! Pure Power

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Generally good to go. The i5 will bottleneck the GTX1070 pretty bad in something like Battlefield 1 online (in that game an i7 + GTX970 easily beats an i5+GTX1070), but most games and especially single player titles won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Download DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    And remove the display drivers before install.

GTX1070 uses less power than GTX970 so you're covered on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Guys I'm getting the GTX1070 which i7 processor would you recommend for future proofing without going bananas on price. playing BF1 Playerunknown's Battlegrounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You could probably just pick up a second hand 4770 or 4790 which you could use with your current board.

There's some second hand ones on adverts atm. TerrorFirmer actually has some for sale.

http://www.adverts.ie/processors/i7-4770-and-i7-4790/12641224

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

apart from removing drivers. do I literally just remove and replace old graphics card and processor with new one...Its that simple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yep. As long as the processor is compatible with your board. You might need a BIOS update for some of them.

Changing processor can be a bit of a pain. It might require the removal of the motherboard depending on what cooler you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

skankles wrote: »
    Hey guys, I want to upgrade my GTX970 to GTX1070 can I just get the graphics card or do I need to upgrade more or all components?

This is my current setup:

Intel Core i5 4460
    ASRock H97 Pro4
    MSI GeForce GTX 970
    PSU 530 Watt be quiet! Pure Power

Thanks.

Went from a 970 to a 1070.

Just be aware skank the 1070 are bigger cards. Mine was so wide the psu connections rub tight against the case side panel glass if you get me. So Perhaps make sure the case has room.

Advertisement