Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suncroft kildare

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello
    Looking for any advice on the above area! Good and bad !
    Thinking of moving to eascanrath brook, aware it's quiet but I'm looking for more advice as in , the area itself, the locals etc !

Much appreciated
    Denise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Kildare forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Suncroft is a great village with an active community. We have a new community centre that hosts events every night, a playground, a couple of sports clubs, two pubs, a shop and a new takeaway.

We're also equidistant from Newbridge, Kildare and Kilcullen.

I think Eascanrath had broadband issues which might be worth checking out. I live at the other end of the village which is closer to the exchange and has great fibre connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Denisemog

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Suncroft is a great village with an active community. We have a new community centre that hosts events every night, a playground, a couple of sports clubs, two pubs, a shop and a new takeaway.

We're also equidistant from Newbridge, Kildare and Kilcullen.

I think Eascanrath had broadband issues which might be worth checking out. I live at the other end of the village which is closer to the exchange and has great fibre connections.

Thank you so much for your response !
    I did ask the builder And he said they have fibre in eascanrath but I will ask again to be 100% as that is an essential for us !

Can I ask is there many kids aged 12 around?
    My son is big into sports so he will get involved in local teams which is great ! I suppose living in Dublin he has friends he can just call too and I would if it was the same there !
    Maybe a silly question ;)

Thank you again

Denisemog wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your response !
    I did ask the builder And he said they have fibre in eascanrath but I will ask again to be 100% as that is an essential for us !

Can I ask is there many kids aged 12 around?
    My son is big into sports so he will get involved in local teams which is great ! I suppose living in Dublin he has friends he can just call too and I would if it was the same there !
    Maybe a silly question ;)

Thank you again

I know friends in Eascanrath had little more than dial-up two years ago, which is an Eir problem rather than the developer - it's definitely worth checking whether Eir have fixed this. It wasn't a developer problem back then.

The village has plenty of younger families, so lots of 12 year olds. You're going to find secondary schools a challenge. Lots of parents opt for Newbridge and Kilcullen, but the waiting lists are huge and you need to be on them many years in advance. I think the default school is the Curragh Post Primary, but many local kids go elsewhere.

I know friends in Eascanrath had little more than dial-up two years ago, which is an Eir problem rather than the developer - it's definitely worth checking whether Eir have fixed this. It wasn't a developer problem back then.

The village has plenty of younger families, so lots of 12 year olds. You're going to find secondary schools a challenge. Lots of parents opt for Newbridge and Kilcullen, but the waiting lists are huge and you need to be on them many years in advance. I think the default school is the Curragh Post Primary, but many local kids go elsewhere.

Yes we are filling in application as I speak , hoping for newbridge !
    Few people have advised against curragh camp !
    Hoping and praying he gets a good school !
    I will check Again re broadband , it's crazy how we can't be without it nowadays ! I need It a good connection for my job !
    Thank you again for your advice !
    We are really liking the idea of suncroft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The Curragh Post Primary is a brilliant school. My daughter finished up last year and you couldn't find a better school. The year size is about 25-30 as compared to 100's for the schools in Newbridge or Kildare.

Barbie! wrote: »
    The Curragh Post Primary is a brilliant school. My daughter finished up last year and you couldn't find a better school. The year size is about 25-30 as compared to 100's for the schools in Newbridge or Kildare.

Oh really !
    That's good to know ! It's great to chat to people from the area !!
    Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I think aodh_run might be a bit biased as he sounds like he's living Suncroft?

Personally I wouldn't move there. The fact it equidistant from those 3 towns tells you it's in the middle of nowhere. The roads to any of the towns aren't great, they're winding country roads.

There's not much in the village and you'll be on the road all the time to get out socially, for schools, for shopping, etc. Your sons friends might not be living close by as he will possibly be going to school in any of the 3 towns or the curragh so his friends might all be from other places.

Have you visited the estate? It's very poorly located with the village itself which is why it's taking so long to sell imo.

Would you consider Newbridge, Naas, Kilcullen, Kildare town? All offer more than suncroft.

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I think aodh_run might be a bit biased as he sounds like he's living Suncroft?

Personally I wouldn't move there. The fact it equidistant from those 3 towns tells you it's in the middle of nowhere. The roads to any of the towns aren't great, they're winding country roads.

There's not much in the village and you'll be on the road all the time to get out socially, for schools, for shopping, etc. Your sons friends might not be living close by as he will possibly be going to school in any of the 3 towns or the curragh so his friends might all be from other places.

Have you visited the estate? It's very poorly located with the village itself which is why it's taking so long to sell imo.

Would you consider Newbridge, Naas, Kilcullen, Kildare town? All offer more than suncroft.

Hi!
    Yes we have been down a few times ! We are ok with the fact that we have to drive for most things , it's not much different where we are in Dublin ! Most places you live you can't have everything in your doorstep and we are ok with that !
    I just want to know that it is a friendly community and safe really !
    Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Maybe contact local garda station to ask about antisocial behaviour? Also always worth taking a trip anywhere new in evening time to see how quiet it is?

Good luck with the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 liliputian

Hello
    Looking for any advice on the above area! Good and bad !
    Thinking of moving to eascanrath brook, aware it's quiet but I'm looking for more advice as in , the area itself, the locals etc !

Much appreciated
    Denise

Hi there, we did that move last summer to another estate in the village. I was the least enthusiastic of the family and it took a few months to find my way, but have been won over. Suncroft is a lovely place to live, especially with children. It is technically a bit out of the way, but doesn't feel that bad now that I'm used to it. All our friends come visit when they shop in Kildare Village and if there's no traffic on the M7, you can be at the ball in Naas in 22 mins. Traffic in Newbridge is often ridiculous so we do most of our shopping in Kildare. It has Tesco, aldi and lidl. Socially, we have found a few restaurants in Kildare, Newbridge and Naas that are fantastic, yes, you have to drive but we alternate who has the glass of wine, which isn't that big a deal. We will have the 2nd level school issue next year. We're looking at Kildare but have heard too that the Curragh has a good track record. Locals seem to have a bit of snobbery about it but I'm not actually sure why. The community spirit is incredible and there are loads of things to get involved in at the community centre.

liliputian wrote: »
    Hi there, we did that move last summer to another estate in the village. I was the least enthusiastic of the family and it took a few months to find my way, but have been won over. Suncroft is a lovely place to live, especially with children. It is technically a bit out of the way, but doesn't feel that bad now that I'm used to it. All our friends come visit when they shop in Kildare Village and if there's no traffic on the M7, you can be at the ball in Naas in 22 mins. Traffic in Newbridge is often ridiculous so we do most of our shopping in Kildare. It has Tesco, aldi and lidl. Socially, we have found a few restaurants in Kildare, Newbridge and Naas that are fantastic, yes, you have to drive but we alternate who has the glass of wine, which isn't that big a deal. We will have the 2nd level school issue next year. We're looking at Kildare but have heard too that the Curragh has a good track record. Locals seem to have a bit of snobbery about it but I'm not actually sure why. The community spirit is incredible and there are loads of things to get involved in at the community centre.

Thank you so much , so good to hear that the move was a success!
    Where do you move from ? Hope you don't mind me asking !
    Schools are a big issue , is yours starting secondary next year ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you'll love it there if you don't mind being called "horse" all the time ;)

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    you'll love it there if you don't mind being called "horse" all the time ;)

Well if that's the worst I can be called I can live with that !!!
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GiuliaClifford

Hey there! If you move to Eascanrath we will be neighbours :) we're completing the purchase of our house there as we speak, we should be in our home by the end of June.
    I have asked many neighbours about the broadband issue and they said it has been resolved. There were people living on the same Street of the showhouse saying that they have a very good intenet connection. Obviously I won't be able to know until I actually move there and start using the Internet, but so far so good from what people said.
    Hope you can get your son into a good secondary school. At the moment I'm still at Junior Infant level (LOL) and I have secured my son a place in Scoil Mhuire in Newbridge, which I have been told is a very good school. Hope it is, because the school he had been accepted at here in the UK is one of the best in the country... and I have been so disappointed after having worked SO hard to see that acceptance letter to receive it when it didn't matter any more... Gutted, really.
    Anyway... I'm still not living there so I can't comment on the community, but I know that there's a lovely community centre very close to the estate and all the neighbours I spoke to are very friendly.
    Looking forward to seeing you there!
    Your future neighbour ;)

Hey there! If you move to Eascanrath we will be neighbours :) we're completing the purchase of our house there as we speak, we should be in our home by the end of June.
    I have asked many neighbours about the broadband issue and they said it has been resolved. There were people living on the same Street of the showhouse saying that they have a very good intenet connection. Obviously I won't be able to know until I actually move there and start using the Internet, but so far so good from what people said.
    Hope you can get your son into a good secondary school. At the moment I'm still at Junior Infant level (LOL) and I have secured my son a place in Scoil Mhuire in Newbridge, which I have been told is a very good school. Hope it is, because the school he had been accepted at here in the UK is one of the best in the country... and I have been so disappointed after having worked SO hard to see that acceptance letter to receive it when it didn't matter any more... Gutted, really.
    Anyway... I'm still not living there so I can't comment on the community, but I know that there's a lovely community centre very close to the estate and all the neighbours I spoke to are very friendly.
    Looking forward to seeing you there!
    Your future neighbour ;)

Hello , oh exciting !!!! Good to chat to someone that is moving there !!
    I'm keeping everything crossed for a good secondary school, my daughter will be going to senior infants next yr so i am looking into that too , that is a good one you choose , friends told me about it :)
    We are excited !
    Best of luck over the next feee weeks ,
    I would love to hear any feedback from you, at your own convienve of course :)

Thank you again neighbour :) I think we will be on the same street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi There, don't mean to hijack your thread but have a question about Suncroft.

We are house hunting and just spotted the houses in Eascanrath. They look amazing.

We live in Sallins at the moment and I commute to Dublin by train. Does anyone know the best way to get from Suncroft to Dublin? Is it a matter of driving to Newbridge and getting the train? Or are there other options?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pre placements for schools are to be made illegal and all cancelled if the current government survives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

nedd wrote: »

We are house hunting and just spotted the houses in Eascanrath. They look amazing.

We live in Sallins at the moment and I commute to Dublin by train. Does anyone know the best way to get from Suncroft to Dublin? Is it a matter of driving to Newbridge and getting the train? Or are there other options?

Thanks

Drive to newbridge-Green bus to red cow luas stop (€5)-Luas to your destination.

It's either that or the train from Newbridge. The only problem with getting the green bus is finding somewhere to park in town for the day. You'd probably have to go to one of the multi stories to be sure of not getting a ticket.

Looking at google maps Kildare town train station is about the same distance from suncroft as Newbridge station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks

Train from Newbridge is cheaper than from Kildare. Not as cheap as from Naas as that's in the proper "commuter belt"

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Train from Newbridge is cheaper than from Kildare. Not as cheap as from Naas as that's in the proper "commuter belt"

Newbridge and Kildare are about the same distance from Suncroft, but Newbridge is cheaper and has direct access to the Phoenix Park Tunnel services, which are handy if you work in the City Centre. The short hop zone was extended to Sallins a few months ago, so their fares dropped to around half of Newbridge. It would be great if this could be extended.

There are also new houses in Hawthorn Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Newbridge and Kildare are about the same distance from Suncroft, but Newbridge is cheaper and has direct access to the Phoenix Park Tunnel services, which are handy if you work in the City Centre. The short hop zone was extended to Sallins a few months ago, so their fares dropped to around half of Newbridge. It would be great if this could be extended.

There are also new houses in Hawthorn Wood.

Any idea how much the Hawthorn Wood houses are going for? Or when they will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Barbie! wrote: »
    Drive to newbridge-Green bus to red cow luas stop (€5)-Luas to your destination.

It's either that or the train from Newbridge. The only problem with getting the green bus is finding somewhere to park in town for the day. You'd probably have to go to one of the multi stories to be sure of not getting a ticket.
    I'd say the handiest place the park would be the Tesco/Woodies carpark, and get the Green Bus across the road at The Crescent. No charge. I did it last Saurday week when I was going up to see Kraftwerk (except I cycled rather than drove to Tesco). Got back at about 1 am and hopped on my bike.

Any idea how much the Hawthorn Wood houses are going for? Or when they will be available?

I think the 3,000 sq ft 5 beds are around €490,000. The 2,500 sq ft 4 beds are probably 50k less.

I heard that newbridge should be getting the cheaper train fares also , which would be great ! I have to travel to dub twice a week !!!
    We are really excited about moving to eascanrath

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I heard that newbridge should be getting the cheaper train fares also , which would be great ! I have to travel to dub twice a week !!!
    We are really excited about moving to eascanrath

Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mash05

Scruff101 wrote: »
    Maybe contact local garda station to ask about antisocial behaviour? Also always worth taking a trip anywhere new in evening time to see how quiet it is?

Good luck with the move.

Unfortunately, they can't do this. We tried to contact local Garda before buying the house but they said it would not be fare to locals.

There are Crime Alerts and Prevention groups online where locals report everything they see.

I think reading their post through might help to get an idea of what area is like

mash05 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they can't do this. We tried to contact local Garda before buying the house but they said it would not be fare to locals.

There are Crime Alerts and Prevention groups online where locals report everything they see.

I think reading their post through might help to get an idea of what area is like

Thank you
    Have you moved to suncroft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IFenn

Hi, just checking if anyone on this thread can help me. I purchased a German Shepard dog about 10 years ago. I can't find her paperwork in the house (IKC registered etc.) We are trying to contact the original breeders to see if they are still breeding GS but they only thing we can remember is that they were from suncroft Kildare. Does anyone know of any German Shepard breeders in the Suncroft area please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement