Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gold 22 carat

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I want to buy some gold for my girls for when they are going to college to cash in on.

I was considering going for 22 carat chain's instead of bullion, would I be at much of a loss trying to get 22 carat smelted to bullion in 20 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

I always go for whatever is cheapest. I buy any gold I can for a good price and never consider the future melting cost. Would love to hear other's opinions though

In my lay opinion I think junk gold with a stamp is going to be more valuable than gold you melt down yourself. How am I meant to know you didn't add 10% iron or copper to your gold blob?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There will be a cost in having the gold built as chains, better off going in bullion if end result is smelting to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

chipfox wrote: »

In my lay opinion I think junk gold with a stamp is going to be more valuable than gold you melt down yourself. How am I meant to know you didn't add 10% iron or copper to your gold blob?

A cash for gold place can easily test the purity of gold. Slight variations in purity have a massive effect on colour. 99.99% pure gold is almost orange, whereas 9 carats is a dull yellow

Gold is a horrific investment. An ETF eg S&P500 would return a lot more than gold over a 20 year period

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

You won't get as good a price from a cash for gold place. I buy junk gold for as much as 50% spot and will probably keep doing it while I can get good prices.

I don't think any investor would allocate all of their funds in a single position like the S&P or similar. Having a small amount of precious metals isn't a terrible idea but definitely not a way to get rich.

Advertisement