Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power taking money without permission from people's accounts

Options
  • 05-05-2017 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Had a shocking experience with Paddy Power today. Made a bet on the Women's Steeplechase at the Diamond League very close to the race start time. I won the bet. The money was the credited into my account.

However, later they took the money out of my account citing that the race had started and the result was know at the time I had placed my bet. I was unaware of this while placing the bet. I contacted them and they told me that they had a provision to void the bet if they race was over when the bet was placed. However, he seemed unsure about whether the company is allowed to take money from people's account after awarding them their winnings. When quizzed on this further, and when I asked to speak to a manager, he initially said they were busy and then disconnected the chat. How rude!! Awful treatment of customers.

If Paddy Power are going to take money from people's accounts like this, how can we safely leave money in Paddy Power accounts again? Surely what they did is against the law? If the money has been credited into my account, it is my money! They can hardly take it without my permission??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerard 180

Whilst their means of taking the money back may frustrate you and be open to criticism by you, you were always have to naturally give it back so why the big issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UCgambler

What?! No way! They took money out of your account after they credited it?

Why didn't you just withdraw the money right away after crediting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aravind

Once they deposit the money into my account, it is my money. I do not have to give it back.

I didn't withdraw the money right away as I didn't realize it was in danger of being taken by Paddy Power.

Hence I am saying that it is always safer to take money out of your Paddy Power accounts as they can always change their minds or come up with some clause to take money out of your accounts.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Aravind wrote: »
    Once they deposit the money into my account, it is my money. I do not have to give it back.

I didn't withdraw the money right away as I didn't realize it was in danger of being taken by Paddy Power.

Hence I am saying that it is always safer to take money out of your Paddy Power accounts as they can always change their minds or come up with some clause to take money out of your accounts.

This isn't necessarily true.

If they put money into your account in error, then they are well within their means to take it back and can bring you to court over it if they wanted.

As long as you got your stake back then you have no leg to stand on, I'm afraid.

It's the same with banks. A woman got done recently for spending money that was lodged into her account by her bank in error.

Advertisement