Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizing up the buyer

Options
  • 05-05-2017 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭

Have you ever tried to buy something only to be bombarded with a load of questions about your own personal self and what you intend to use the item for before an actual price is mentioned?

I had this with a few auctioneers while trying to buy a scrap of land. The price would be POA and sold without planning permission. Obviously if I told them I was coming over from central London to try and get planning permission for a massive house on it I'd get a different price than someone local claiming he wanted it for grazing sheep.

You'd be amazed what kind of trivial item a seller would be tempted to size up the buyer for. I reckon it was worse long ago with tradespeople charging vastly different amounts to people who are known to have "plenty of money" as the man says.

I know someone who has a whole list compiled of different types of businesses and what prices to give them, no prices on his website and does a ferocious amount of rooting around and googling to see how much money they might have before giving any potential customer a quote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

You might not get planning for a house, most people buying a site do so subject to planning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd say about 6 foot and 14 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭denismc

Well if I was selling a bit of land next door I would like to know a little about a potential neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

People will sell it for as much as they can get.

If you think they're overcharging you then the issue is with you being willing to overpay for it.

Advertisement