Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Laptop - 2 Choices

Options
  • 05-05-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hopefully somebody can advise.

I have a choice of 2 laptops. The cost is not as issue as they are not costing me a cent.

I will be using it for a small business. 1 man band. No gaming. 128GB SSD storage should be enough but I would like more.

I'm pretty clueless on the matter to be honest.

The 2 laptops in question are:

PN:80V4000TUK
    Name :Ideapad Yoga 710 Silver
    Display: 14" FHD
    Processor: I5-7200U
    Memory: 8GB
    Storage: 128GB SSD
    Windows 10 home

OR

PN: 80VB000NUK
    Name :Ideapad Yoga 510
    Display: 14"
    Processor: I7-7500U
    Memory: 8GB
    Storage: 256GB SSD
    Gfx: AMD R5 M430
    Windows 10 home

What's the best choice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The 2nd one is far superior in spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't say it's far superior. The only real difference is double the SSD space. The R5 M430 is a waste of space and no better than integrated Intel graphics. I would look into both models and see which has better life, better design, screen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wouldn't say it's far superior. The only real difference is double the SSD space. The R5 M430 is a waste of space and no better than integrated Intel graphics. I would look into both models and see which has better life, better design, screen etc.

The other has Intel graphics. The I5 has better battery life but the I7 had more oomph and storage.

All depends on usage, do you need longer battery life or more storage. I'd tend to go for battery life, unless running excel scenarios that take hours to calculate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think the larger SSD would swing it for me. 128GB is a bit on the painful side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes but the Radeon graphics aren't any faster than the Intel graphics and thus aren't really worth any consideration. The i7 is also barely any faster than the i5, both dual core and 300mhz between them - not going to make any difference at all in normal usage really.

More SSD space is definitely a bonus but in this case I think battery life, design, build quality and screen quality are all more important considerations considering they would otherwise be indistinguishable apart from the SSD space.

If both are more or less equal in those things, then yes obviously the 2nd one is the better option if you're not paying a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Thanks for the advice.

I'd sent my laptop for repair with Lenovo due to manufacturing fault. Replacement part was not available so I've been offered a replacement laptop.

My old one which I bought about 3 years ago was a
    Lenovo U410 Touch, Intel® Core™ i7-3537U Dual Core Processor, 14" HD
    Touch Screen, Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD,
    Dedicated GT 710M 2GB Graphics, 59399422

That was more than enough for me. Unfortunately I didn't check how much space I had used up before I sent my laptop for repair. My external HD, fully backed up, has only used 30GB so the storage space may not be an issue.

I'll more than likely go for the 510 and hope I can get it in silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hold on, are the displays on par? One lists full hd, the other nothing. 768p would be a deal buster.

Advertisement