Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'' It's not going to be funny when it happens to you''

Options
  • 05-05-2017 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I don't remember a time when I have ever laughed at my own misfortune yet I hear this all the time. Why do some people feel the need to say it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

(points) Ha ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

JoeyPeeps wrote: »
    I don't remember a time when I have ever laughed at my own misfortune

I think that is the point of the expression. Dont laugh at other people's misfortune as someday you may be unfortunate and you will not be laughing then (at yourself).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm sure I've managed to get a laugh out of various misfortunes over the years, you just have to tell the story right. Failed relationships, that time I was almost electrocuted, alcohol induced mishaps, all good for a laugh if you have the right frame of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm sure I've managed to get a laugh out of various misfortunes over the years, you just have to tell the story right. Failed relationships, that time I was almost electrocuted, alcohol induced mishaps, all good for a laugh if you have the right frame of mind

Go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

It'll be funny to someone else though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

since I am a regular cluts i laugh a lot at myself..with the obvious self annoyance as well at times..but I usually laugh.Life's too short to be serious. How did you get electrocuted Riff?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I've laughed with people about their misfortunes, I've laughed plenty about my own misfortunes, but I'd never laugh at someone for their misfortunes. I dunno, it's just not something I do taking delight in other peoples misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

so you didn't laugh at this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vVDUuC0yw
    I though it was the best fall EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

My rule is if someone falls over, check to make they are OK, first and foremost. If they are fine, laugh one's arse off. :D

Once my mother fell off her bike on a hill and landed with quite a thump. She was lying there like an upturned beetle. Never has the above rule been more useful. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

so you didn't laugh at this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vVDUuC0yw
    I though it was the best fall EVER!

Ok, ok, I take that back, there are the odd exceptions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's funny cause I don't know him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

torsion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I Gave Up cake

21/25

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

since I am a regular cluts i laugh a lot at myself..with the obvious self annoyance as well at times..but I usually laugh.Life's too short to be serious. How did you get electrocuted Riff?
    If I just type it down it won't sound amusing, but I can always get a smile and a shocked (intended) laugh out of people when I tell it in person, it comes down to the way you tell it. It was a dangerous but interesting experience and I certainly learned my lesson so no use moping about it, might as well get a bit of fun out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The whole point in witnessing other peoples misfortune is that it provides the opportunity to laugh at them.

Advertisement