Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry KEYone

Options
  • 05-05-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Anyone else looking at getting one of these? I have one pre-ordered from CPW in the Uk. I was a long time Blackberry user before jumping to iOS/ Android due to Blackberry not really moving with the times. The Blackberry handsets are now made by TCL and this one looks very good. Could be a new age for Blackberry!

http://www.blackberrymobile.com/

Comments

Apparently the battery life is amazing. I would definitely love to use one, but don't know if I could use it as my daily device.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks very nice but not sure I'd bother with a physical keyboard anymore on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I think the keyboard is only going to appeal to previous Blackberry users really. I personally can't wait to try it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Gwildor wrote: »
    I think the keyboard is only going to appeal to previous Blackberry users really. I personally can't wait to try it out again.

I never had a Blackberry but was fond of the Nokia E series made in the same shape. Great to see at least one company making phones with keyboards again. Never liked the touch screens for typing on

All it needs now is a way to run Sailfish OS on it

I completely forgot about the E series! I think I still have my old E71 somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've wanted one of these ever since I found out they existed a fortnight ago :D

Watched an unboxing video and just had instant "want" :)

I was the same! And luckily for me, I have family over who are collecting it from Carphone Warehouse for me tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BBM - there's a blast from the past

I was the same! And luckily for me, I have family over who are collecting it from Carphone Warehouse for me tomorrow. :D

How much?

They are up for pre-order for €604 on expansys so I will wait until then at least and probably longer.

I see one on eBay thats been bidded up past 800 GBP which I think is a mad price to be paying but I'm glad people are showing an interest in keyboard phones at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Out of all the phones I've ever had, my blackberry torch was one I loved, particularly the keyboard. Dying to see one of these and see some more reviews. A quality phone manufacturer that just got left behind.

• Advertisement

They're £499, so about 594 euro. There is one on Adverts.ie for 750, which I think is madness. They launched in the UK today and are exclusive to CPW as far as I know. The pre-release ones were sold in Selfridges in London.
    How much?

They are up for pre-order for €604 on expansys so I will wait until then at least and probably longer.

I see one on eBay thats been bidded up past 800 GBP which I think is a mad price to be paying but I'm glad people are showing an interest in keyboard phones at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    BBM - there's a blast from the past
    Yes, i agree they have a big challenge on their hands to explain to people BB OS
    And BB10 are dead, this is an Android phone like the Priv, Dtek50 and Dtek60.

The review, albeit from a biased site, looks good
    [url] http://crackberry.com/blackberry-keyone-review[/url]
    But even unbiased sites like Android Authority give it a good review
    [url] http://www.androidauthority.com/blackberry-keyone-review-752304/[/url]

I was put off by the screen size initially but this review changed my opinion
    [url] http://crackberry.com/blackberry-keyone-gets-sized-video[/url]

I really hope this phone will be a success, phones have got so boring the past few years. All the same shape, touchscreen, android. No diversity at all. There is almost nobody straying from the well-beaten path when it comes to designing phones now and whenever someone comes up with a unique design you'll be left waiting years before you can actually buy one (if ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My last phone with a keyboard was a Nokia N97(It has been that long). I took it out of the drawer about 2 years ago just to see the difference between standard smartphones and physical keyboard and I have to say on screen keyboard are my favorite. It wasn't always that way I remember a good few years ago typing on a on screen keyboard and I kept making mistakes but you get used to it so I would never go back to a physical keyboard on a smart phone.

I really hope this phone will be a success, phones have got so boring the past few years. All the same shape, touchscreen, android. No diversity at all. There is almost nobody straying from the well-beaten path when it comes to designing phones now and whenever someone comes up with a unique design you'll be left waiting years before you can actually buy one (if ever)

I'm currently using a Moto Z. Pretty cool what they've done with the modularity. There's also a keyboard mod in the works which will be pretty cool. Unfortunately the mods are ridiculously priced, so it's a big outlay.

My KEYone was posted out today, so should have it by Wed/ Thurs. Quite looking forward to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

My KEYone was posted out today, so should have it by Wed/ Thurs. Quite looking forward to this one!
    Was looking at one in Carphone Warehouse today in Newry.
    (They knew nothing about it in Three, EE and O2 in Newry - actually the lads in Three thought Blackberry have stopped making phones (ironically he is right TCL is making this albeit under the guidance of Blackberry :D) - anyway they had never heard of it.

I know the online reviews said it will take 2-3 days to get used to the keyboard, but yeah felt weird to me having not used one before. Running your fingers up and down on the keyboard to scroll up and down on a webpage, running your fingers from side to side to swipe across on a page. Using 52 shortcuts does sound great though. I'd say it will be a fantastic phone, just will take a bit of getting used to.

But at GBP499, I just couldn't decide. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

That is a beautiful looking phone, I really miss my Blackberry, I've had loads of them over the years, I just love the way it handles emails, you can really work with them. I switched to Oneplus 3 when I was unable to find a new model Blackberry (I was also convinced they'd stopped (or were about to stop) making them.
    If it weren't for the fact I really like having a dual sim phone I'd be all over that thing like a shot...

So, it arrived today... My god it's sexy! :D

Slipped straight back into the physical keyboard as if I'd been using one the whole time. Though, the new physical keyboard is smaller than the ones of old. So far it's been a pleasure to use.

• Advertisement

well wear !

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

So, it arrived today... My god it's sexy! :D

Slipped straight back into the physical keyboard as if I'd been using one the whole time. Though, the new physical keyboard is smaller than the ones of old. So far it's been a pleasure to use.
    Great to hear, I'd say you've already started to implement a few of these
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-keyone-f445/keyone-productivity-tricks-tips-ones-not-already-written-down-1107170/

Have you tried one-handed typing, that for me was the hardest thing when i was trying out the phone!

Great to hear, I'd say you've already started to implement a few of these
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-keyone-f445/keyone-productivity-tricks-tips-ones-not-already-written-down-1107170/

Have you tried one-handed typing, that for me was the hardest thing when i was trying out the phone!

Yeah, I've been on Crackberry a bit looking for a few tips and shortcuts. Still forget sometimes that you a have to press the ALT key to get symbols and punctuation...

I tried one handed, and yeah, doesn't really work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Battery has been very good so far with fairly heavy usage. About 5hrs screen on time with lots of downloading and updating etc.

I pre-ordered mine from Carphone Warehouse in the UK and had a relative send it over to me. I think Amazon should have them by the end of the month too.

So, did anyone else decide to pick one up? I've had it a while now and am very impressed with it! I've made a few tweaks to eek out a bit more performance, plus added extra storage. I honestly can't see myself using anything else for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I picked one up its pretty nice and if you still dont like physical keys there is a pop up virtual keyboard i have swfitkey there on it if needed,battery is great too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Where did you get it?
    I'm considering crossing back over to the dark side if I have to replace my OP3 and Oneplus pitch the OP5 at the wrong price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Where did you get it?
    I'm considering crossing back over to the dark side if I have to replace my OP3 and Oneplus pitch the OP5 at the wrong price.

In France lol..NOt UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 patrickdublin

Hello did you buy the Blackberry Key One?

Advertisement