Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair delayed flight

Options
  • 04-05-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, my query is in relation to claiming compensation due to a delayed flight. Do I claim directly from the airline (Ryanair in my case) or from my travel insurance company? The flight was Murcia to Dublin scheduled for 22:00 on 01/05/17 but due to the wheel falling off we were delayed til 12:00 on 02/05/17. The distance is over 1500km.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had a 5 hour delay last year with them, no hassle getting the EU set compensation from them.

Took about 3 weeks from my mail to money in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would have thought the wheel falling off would be grounds for them not to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Wait, what?

It's up to them to provide a serviceable aircraft for the flight which they have contractually agreed to provide. An aircraft whose wheels fall off is not serviceable. This delay resulted from something very much within the airline's sphere of responsibility. Why on earth should that excuse them from having to pay compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

DB2017 wrote:
    Hi all, my query is in relation to claiming compensation due to a delayed flight. Do I claim directly from the airline (Ryanair in my case) or from my travel insurance company? The flight was Murcia to Dublin scheduled for 22:00 on 01/05/17 but due to the wheel falling off we were delayed til 12:00 on 02/05/17. The distance is over 1500km.

Was delayed for 24 hours in Mexico past year, Pilot had the flu, Wouldn't give me a penny because it's in there clause not to pay if the crew get sick

• Advertisement

Was delayed for 24 hours in Mexico past year, Pilot had the flu, Wouldn't give me a penny because it's in there clause not to pay if the crew get sick
    You were evidently outside the scope of the EU rules on air passenger rights. However the OP's flight is covered by the EU rules and he's entitled to compensation in the circumstances he describes (and would be entitled if the delay was due to aircrew illness as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Wait, what?

It's up to them to provide a serviceable aircraft for the flight which they have contractually agreed to provide. An aircraft whose wheels fall off is not serviceable. This delay resulted from something very much within the airline's sphere of responsibility. Why on earth should that excuse them from having to pay compensation?
    If the delay was "unexpected or outside their control" and they can show an up to date service schedule for that plane listing no issue...I think you may have a fight possibly

If the delay was "unexpected or outside their control" and they can show an up to date service schedule for that plane listing no issue...I think you may have a fight possibly
    No. Resist the temptation to moralise this. It's not a question of whose fault this is; it's a question of whose responsiblity this is. The airline is responsible for providing a serviceable aircraft. Therefore, if they don't provide it, the resulting detriment comes back to them, in the form of a compensation obligation. (Note this is fairly crude, and the amount they receive will not necessarily fully compensate passengers for the impact of the delay. But, still, it's a start.)

The point is not to punish the airline, but to align the responsibility and the consequences of failure and, possibly, to give the airline an incentive to discharge the responsibility.

Essentially, the airline may not be able to guarantee no delays ever, but delays are more within the control of the airline than they are of the passengers. Therefore, the consequences of delay should fall on the airline, to give them an incentive to exercise their control in a way that avoids delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nope, anything technical and they have to pay out.
    Our issue was a light in the cabin indicating a malfunction somewhere, they checked out the area, confirmed it looked ok, but the light wouldn't go off.

They even turned the plane on and off 3 times, everyone was kicked off and we took off over 5 hours later.

5 of us on the flight, all applied for compensation, there are templates online you can follow, no qualms from Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

I submitted a claim back in April for a 7 hour delayed flight from Mallorca. RyanAir acknowledged the delay but not the reason in an email to me

I submitted a claim directly to them and I received a claim# from them. I have not heard anything from them since though and there is no contact email / phone to follow up on it.

Anybody else experience similar and how did they move the claim on with RyanAir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    I submitted a claim back in April for a 7 hour delayed flight from Mallorca. RyanAir acknowledged the delay but not the reason in an email to me

I submitted a claim directly to them and I received a claim# from them. I have not heard anything from them since though and there is no contact email / phone to follow up on it.

Anybody else experience similar and how did they move the claim on with RyanAir?

You can send a twitter to ryanair and ask the same question..should get an answer

Advertisement