Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA - Very Poor Customer Service

Options
  • 04-05-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some advice/help. About 6 years ago, we bought a bed and mattress from IKEA. When we bought it, the IKEA sales lady said the mattress was guaranteed for 25 years. After about 5 years, a small lump appeared in the middle of the bed and over a period of a few months, it just got gradually worse (larger) until the bed - or the mattress to be more exact - became unusable. We contacted IKEA and reported it and they said that they would send someone out to take a look at it. So far, so good.

After a few weeks, some guy called to look at it. He went upstairs, took a few photos, and left. I was a bit surprised as he didn't perform any actual examination of the mattress. A few weeks later, we got a letter from IKEA to say that their "Independent Assessor" had reported "no manufacturing fault or defects". When we contacted them, a very nice lady eventually admitted that this is their standard approach and that we would have to get our own independent assessor to examine the mattress and submit a report/claim if he felt it was a manufacturing fault. So much for their supposed 15 year warranty!

So, does anyone know where or how I can locate an independent assessor to check out the mattress? I know for certain that the mattress wasn't abused in any way and the fault must be in the mattress itself. I notice that IKEA no longer sells this particular mattress ("Sultan") so there may be a reason for that.

I am really disappointed with the exceptionally poor customer service from IKEA and will not be buying anything from them again. The person I spoke with today was very nice but basically admitted that the approach of automatically rejecting any possibility of a manufacturing fault usually works for them as people don't usually go down the road of getting a genuinely independent assessment done. I'm feeling very let down by IKEA and their dismissive attitude, so if possible, I'd like to get an assessment done and pursue this with them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They won't pay for an independent assessor - how expensive was the mattress? 6 years is early regardless, but if its going to cost you almost as much to get the assessment as get a replacement, or at least replacement minus some depreciated value... pragmatic approach rather than enforcing the warranty, I know.

They replace product ranges all the time so I wouldn't read anything in to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seanofdbush

Yeah, I know what you're saying. But based on a quick search on Google, the "Independent Assessor" and "no manufacturing fault" seems to be their standard reply when these problems are reported - and it seems to be a common enough complaint. I wouldn't mind if we'd been using it as a trampoline but we only used it for sleeping in! I'll stick with it for another while because like most people, I hate to made a mug of, and if I CAN find an assessor who doesn't charge the earth, I'll follow through on it. I'd hate letting IKEA get away with this kind of shoddy approach to customer care...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Would it not be cheaper/easier to take a case to the Small Claims Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

we only used it for sleeping in!

Sorry to hear that OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yeah I'd agree with the other poster. Small claims court, bring as many pictures that clearly show the defect. See if you can find the small print of the mattress warranty and have it printed. For the sake of €25, which you'll get back if you win, it could be your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Is it just normal body compression, or does it actually feel like the materials inside have shifted. Does the interior contain visco or other plush materials? Industry accepted norms are a dip between 1-1.5 inches over the time frame you indicated.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

as nobody has said it the ikea warranty provided, has terms and conditions - it is possible that the fault you are seeing is not a manufacturing fault, but due to environmental or usage factors.

now i 100% accept that you may be unhappy with the way they assessed this; and would seem to have reasonable ground for doubt there.

bear in mind even if you win, the small claims would award on mattress value depreciated by 6 years. IE the value of the mattress as 6 years old, which would not be a very high % of the original cost price. Again, you would probably need to provide some evidence it is a manufacturing fault, to counter the report that have produced, as well as the 25 euro cost which you won't get back (even if you win), plus time and effort and possibly a day off work too.

all things considered; small claims court would be unlikely to be a sensible option to pursue.

i would stick with the ikea complaints process; escalate to head office and possible social media or consumer radio shows etc. if pursuing this further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

OP I PMed you there

This inspection company inspected a sofa that I had. They told me they when they inspected it, that it was a manufactures fault and that they would advise IKEA of that. I thought that is amazing, until they sent out a letter to say that they were not going to replace it as it damaged from a 'force'. In person the inspector told me one and then sent out a letter with completely different opinion. Not a great impression

I decided to research the company. They have done the same to others ie claimed in person it was IKEAs fault, then sent out a letter saying IKEA were not going to replace it. If you google them, read IKEA reviews, newspaper articles etc. They have a questionable reputation to say the least eg there is an article alleging they forged a customers signature

Advertisement