Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy Assistant, part-time or e-learning?

Options
  • 04-05-2017 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering whether anyone know's of any refutable on-line courses in this area?. I know of courses in my locality (munster) but all are full-time and that simply does not suit me at the moment. I saw one, with 'Learn-pipe',e-learning based in Glasgow (I think) would that hold any weiight here? Does anyone know anything about 'Learn-pipe'?. I'm 'good with people' and have an interest in matters medical. I think I could make a good pharmacy assistant. Any directions appreciated.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering whether anyone know's of any refutable on-line courses in this area?. I know of courses in my locality (munster) but all are full-time and that simply does not suit me at the moment. I saw one, with 'Learn-pipe',e-learning based in Glasgow (I think) would that hold any weiight here? Does anyone know anything about 'Learn-pipe'?. I'm 'good with people' and have an interest in matters medical. I think I could make a good pharmacy assistant. Any directions appreciated.
    Thanks
    S
    Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? The best way to start as a pharmacy technician is to work in a pharmacy as a medicines counter assistant - you don't need to have done a special course prior to this, most pharmacies will do in-house training with you. If you want to train further you can train as a pharmacy technician- Athlone IT do an excellent full time course. I haven't heard of the online course you mentioned so can't comment on it particularly. Hands on experience is more use than online courses in the early stages so I'd advise you to do that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? The best way to start as a pharmacy technician is to work in a pharmacy as a medicines counter assistant - you don't need to have done a special course prior to this, most pharmacies will do in-house training with you. If you want to train further you can train as a pharmacy technician- Athlone IT do an excellent full time course. I haven't heard of the online course you mentioned so can't comment on it particularly. Hands on experience is more use than online courses in the early stages so I'd advise you to do that first.
    Thanks, it just doesn't really suit me to 'actually work', certainly not full-time due to family obligations. Most courses seem 'full-time'. Probably most jobs too, but I'll monitor the Boots.ie website and maybe 'Doc-Morris', apply and take it from there if I see anything.

People say I've 'a nice manner' and in the course of some ad-hoc volunteer work, I do interact well with people 'one on one' in particular. I'm reasonably intelligent with an interest in 'Health'.

In retrospect, College, Uni, was such a waste in terms of career. Liberal Arts left me without a clearly defined 'Skill'. A one year 'post-Leaving Cert. course' in a Vocational field, would have been of more use. All such a sorry tale of 'uselessness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Thanks, it just doesn't really suit me to 'actually work', certainly not full-time due to family obligations. Most courses seem 'full-time'. Probably most jobs too, but I'll monitor the Boots.ie website and maybe 'Doc-Morris', apply and take it from there if I see anything.

People say I've 'a nice manner' and in the course of some ad-hoc volunteer work, I do interact well with people 'one on one' in particular. I'm reasonably intelligent with an interest in 'Health'.

In retrospect, College, Uni, was such a waste in terms of career. Liberal Arts left me without a clearly defined 'Skill'. A one year 'post-Leaving Cert. course' in a Vocational field, would have been of more use. All such a sorry tale of 'uselessness'.

A lot of pharmacies take on part time staff- they open long hours so often need people to do evenings or weekends. Ask at your local branches and you might be in luck!
    No education is ever wasted so don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure you'll soon be well on your way to a great career.

Advertisement