Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest fire in Leitrim/Sligo Border.

Options
  • 04-05-2017 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭

Now I understand that Australia and New Zealand are prone to the odd forest fire but Leitrim and Sligo counties??? Like, I know the weather has been nice for the last few days but surely it didn't dry it that quick.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2017/0503/872319-gorse-fire-sligo/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gorse fires are pretty common around these parts especially if it's been burned to clear land ,seen a few around the Dublin mountains recently even though it's hasn't been exactly dry as of lately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its like lava on top of the hills.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Spring has been quite dry. A good portion of the fires are deliberate by farmers / those with grazing rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spring has been Very dry and on the back of a dry enough winter overall.

I don't remember any spring being drier than this year, it's a godsend.

Also gorse dries extremely fast and any dry warm windy week would leave it ready for burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Barely any rain up here for 2 months gorse fires all over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement