Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from Armagh to south

Options
  • 03-05-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I'm driving a car home from the north tomorrow.is there a border stop with army guys because I want to make sure I have the right I d ,will I bring my passport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

`Have you just come out of 20 year coma?.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

aujopimur wrote: »

Just asking

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are no customs or police or any other checks on the border, all you'll see is a sign indicating that speed limits are now in kms/hr (when travelling south) and you may see a 'Welcome to Co. Monaghan/Louth' sign. Otherwise you wouldn't notice.

One question for the OP: You say you're driving a car 'home' from the north - how did you get to the north in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

coylemj wrote: »
    There are no customs or police or any other checks on the border, all you'll see is a sign indicating that speed limits are now in kms/hr (when travelling south) and you may see a 'Welcome to Co. Monaghan/Louth' sign. Otherwise you wouldn't notice.

One question for the OP: You say you're driving a car 'home' from the north - how did you get to the north in the first place?

By train, if her other thread is anything to go by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

aujopimur wrote: »

And into an alternative with no newspapers / Facebook news / TV etc? Brexit-free and all ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If Carlsberg did dumb questions..............

If Carlsberg did dumb questions..............

Are you calling me dumb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

How did you get up the north to drive the car back down in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm fairness lads we were in a shop in cork a few years ago, we'd bought a ring and they were to size it and post it on.

The lady in the shop asked would there be any problem posting it across the border to the north - we live in Cavan !

She was shocked Cavan was in the republic and amazed that the border was open to travel across freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭cml387

Apt user name .

Sorry.

The only difference you'll notice is the speed limit changes from MPH to KPH and the road signs will be slightly different.
    I presume you'll be on the A1/M1.

And it is vital you get the car NCT'd and VRT'd as soon as possible.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You might need to add bullet proof glass too - for when you get back into the Free State. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm fairness lads we were in a shop in cork a few years ago, we'd bought a ring and they were to size it and post it on.

The lady in the shop asked would there be any problem posting it across the border to the north - we live in Cavan !

She was shocked Cavan was in the republic and amazed that the border was open to travel across freely.

She was referring to the border with the Republic of Cork.

nerobert wrote: »
    Train

nerobert wrote: »
    Train

cml387 wrote: »
    Apt user name .

Sorry.

The only difference you'll notice is the speed limit changes from MPH to KPH and the road signs will be slightly different.

Best of luck
    Is there a online app I can use to avoid the mottorways on the way down

Apt user name .

Sorry.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Have you driven a car before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

You can set google maps to avoid tolls.

Given your general lack of knowledge about the border and driving between the north and the south, I'd stick to the motorway if I was you. There is no toll north of the border and you can pay cash (€1.90) on the M1 toll in the south. Travelling south, the toll plaza is 8 kms after the Boyne bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭cml387

coylemj wrote: »
    Given your general lack of knowledge about the border and driving between the north and the south, I'd stick to the motorway if I was you. There is no toll north of the border and you can pay cash (€1.90) on the M1 toll in the south. Travelling south, the toll plaza is 8 kms after the Boyne bridge.
    I would hazard a guess that the OP is on a learner permit as well.

It's possible to come south without using the motorway from Belfast. Use the AA routeplanner to plot your course and specify avoiding motorways and tolls.

You will need a qualified driver with you of course and they can guide you.

• Advertisement

It's possible to come south without using the motorway from Belfast. Use the AA routeplanner to plot your course and specify avoiding motorways and tolls.

If she has a qualified driver, why not just let him/her drive and come down the motorway? She is getting a train to the north to buy a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Learners permit is only valid in the Republic, if stopped by the PSNI car will be lifted and big fines and points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

^^^
    This

Advertisement