Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vespa Et2 Rusted under floor

Options
  • 03-05-2017 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭

I bought a Vespa et2 03 but there appears to be significant rust/holes in the frame/panel under the footwell/behind the front wheel. Do you think this could be fixed to a suitable level of safety by welding sheet steel to the frame?

Sorry dunno how to add pics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sosurface wrote: »
    I bought a Vespa et2 03 but there appears to be significant rust/holes in the frame/panel under the footwell/behind the front wheel. Do you think this could be fixed to a suitable level of safety by welding sheet steel to the frame?

Sorry dunno how to add pics.

What you're seeing is the body. They don't actually have a frame as such. How bad is the rust and how much did you pay for the scooter ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

D3V!L wrote: »
    What you're seeing is the body. They don't actually have a frame as such. How bad is the rust and how much did you pay for the scooter ?
    There is a fairly large hole underneath the floor of the bike. There is also box frame visible which seems unaffected, must have been galvanised but the outer shell is pretty much open underneath.
    I payed 500 for the bike, had seen a pic and was told it needed a bit of welding but hadnt seen the extent until it was delivered. Foolish I know but I needed a cheap commute to work.
    Do you reckon it could be saved or is it just scrap?

Some pics of underside of bike attached. Apologies for poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you bought it and the seller said it needs a bit of welding, it likely needs a lot of welding..

Just looked at the pictures and I doubled checked. The ET2 is built the same as the old PX, just a one piece body.

Yours looks like scrap to be honest.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just looked at the pictures and I doubled checked. The ET2 is built the same as the old PX, just a one piece body.

Yours looks like scrap to be honest.

****e. No fixing/ patch up can be done at all No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Patching it up could become a bigger job - I know from experience of trying to get a exhaust headers done, that there was only so much could be done before more gaps started to appear because the welds wouldn't hold to the rotten bits.

Could it be ridden for a while in the meantime, before I buy a new bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

Oh dear, that looks pretty bad alright. :( I reckon you need an expert to advise whether it can be made road-worthy by welding or not. It currently looks like the structural integrity is questionable & I wouldn't ride it in its current state.

FWIW underbody rust can be an issue on most Vespas. Check out my 2006 Vespa GTS 250 & the rust treatment I had to carry-out:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic149482

Sosurface wrote: »
    Could it be ridden for a while in the meantime, before I buy a new bike?

There's a chance it could split in two when you're riding it. At say 50kph that could be fatal. Please dont drive it without getting professional advice on if it can be saved or not.

Ok. Thanks lads. I have a mech engineer/technician coming to have a look over the weekend. No licence yet so wont be ridden yet anyway. Hoping I can save the thing if possible. Cant really afford to scrap and buy again. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wheeker wrote: »
    Oh dear, that looks pretty bad alright. :( I reckon you need an expert to advise whether it can be made road-worthy by welding or not. It currently looks like the structural integrity is questionable & I wouldn't ride it in its current state.

FWIW underbody rust can be an issue on most Vespas. Check out my 2006 Vespa GTS 250 & the rust treatment I had to carry-out:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic149482

Holy crap. I just decided to sell my PX yesterday to get a GTS and it never entered my head that modern Vespa's would be that bad..........maybe I should switch to a T-Max instead...... 😞

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Holy crap. I just decided to sell my PX yesterday to get a GTS and it never entered my head that modern Vespa's would be that bad..........maybe I should switch to a T-Max instead...... 😞

Well obviously I do love my GTS or I wouldn't have gone to all that trouble! :P Bear in mind mine is 11 years old, is kept outside (under a cover) & has never been regularly cleaned :o

If you do go for a 2nd-hand GTS make sure you have a good look at the front seams & undercarriage for rust. The only way to be sure is to lift the floorboards & see what internal rust there is. If it is treated early enough it should be fine.

Wheeker wrote: »
    Well obviously I do love my GTS or I wouldn't have gone to all that trouble! :P Bear in mind mine is 11 years old, is kept outside (under a cover) & has never been regularly cleaned :o

If you do go for a 2nd-hand GTS make sure you have a good look at the front seams & undercarriage for rust. The only way to be sure is to lift the floorboards & see what internal rust there is. If it is treated early enough it should be fine.

Just to further add that suggested rust prevention measures are:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

Bring it to a welders and ask how much to repair it. Obv wont be a perfect job but it has no nct to pass. might not be as bad as the pics suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JL7

@Sosurface, did you manage to fix the issue? any update on it? right now I am in a same situation, the rust in my vespa might be worse :(

Advertisement