Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courts - not the quadrangle kind for playing sports on

Options
  • 03-05-2017 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Anyone else follow the courts pages on the Herald or Independent, I read them out of interest, some really take the biscuit, this one today caught my eye. It really just goes to show how much these lads think of the court system and spoof out of them.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/drugs-minder-fell-into-a-spiral-following-death-of-grandmother-35674208.html
    A Dublin man who was caught storing €1,600 of cannabis and cocaine in his home had "spiralled" into drug use when he became depressed over the death of his grandmother, a court heard.

Darryl Cullen (32) agreed to hold on to the drugs in an attempt to reduce his own debt built up from substance abuse.

Father-of-one Cullen pleaded guilty to possession of both drugs with intent to sell or supply at his home at Old Church Avenue, Clondalkin, last December 2.

Judge David McHugh ordered him to carry out 220 hours of community service instead of a five-month jail sentence.

Blanchardstown District Court heard gardai searched the address under warrant at 4.27pm on the date in question.

The accused made full admissions at the scene and signed the garda's notebook.

Defence solicitor Matthew Kenny said Cullen had told gardai he was holding drugs to reduce a debt he had built up from taking drugs himself.

He had previous drugs convictions from one incident in 2007 but, other than that, he was of good character. He had also not been in trouble since those off ences.

Anxiety

Unusually, Cullen had contacted gardai to ask to be charged 'sooner rather than later' due to the anxiety he was feeling over the case.

It was exceptional for someone to want to plead guilty at such an early stage in proceedings when a certificate of analysis was not yet available, Mr Kenny said.

He added that the accused had been close to his grandmother, who acted in place of a parent for him.

When she died in 2015, he spiralled into depression, started using drugs, accumulated debts and started holding drugs for others.

He should have known better, and Mr Kenny asked Judge McHugh to give him a chance.

The accused had a son who he took to school every day.

"He accepts that what he did was absolutely wrong and he has done all he can to repair the damage he did in 2016," Mr Kenny said.

He added that the defendant was now drug-free.

Judge McHugh said the 220 hours of community service he was ordering reflected how near he was to getting an outright prison sentence.

The maximum number of hours was 240, he added.

I have underlined the bit I find funny, because to me in the below picture, the lad is quite clearly smoking a blunt after the case.

Is anyone going to take seriously how bad our system is? It's literally a joke of a system.

2017-05-03_new_30820233_I1.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Could just be a rollie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

TallGlass wrote: »
    I have underlined the bit I find funny, because to me in the below picture, the lad is quite clearly smoking a blunt after the case.

Bit presumptuous. Could just be a normal rollie.

Also, kudos on the cryptic thread title.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How do you know it's a blunt? Have you heard of rolled cigarettes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A "blunt" smoked that far down would be very discoloured around the "Filter" so to me thats only a rollie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

me_irl wrote: »
    Bit presumptuous. Could just be a normal rolly.

Also, kudos on the cryptic thread title.

Never been good at titles!
    How do you know it's a blunt? Have you heard of rolled cigarettes?

It could be alright, given the sentence he just got there is a strong chance it's not. Not that I care to much for this case, I just found it funny in a sense that, if it is a blunt he brought it with him to a case about drugs. Not that there was any chance of him getting locked up. It just shows there's no respect left for the system left at all with these lads.

It's more to highlight, how bad the system has gotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

It could be alright, given the sentence he just got there is a strong chance it's not. Not that I care to much for this case, I just found it funny in a sense that, if it is a blunt he brought it with him to a case about drugs. Not that there was any chance of him getting locked up. It just shows there's no respect left for the system left at all with these lads.

It's a rollie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Anyone else follow the courts pages on the Herald or Independent, I read them out of interest, some really take the biscuit, this one today caught my eye. It really just goes to show how much these lads think of the court system and spoof out of them.
    But without "these lads", what would you do for entertainment? You love these lads. They sustain your interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

But without "these lads", what would you do for entertainment? You love these lads. They sustain your interest.

I'd watch Judge Judy on the telly. They should try start an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

What do you want here OP?

This man is at the very low end of the drug industry.
    The gardai have no concerns about his involvement in (serious) crime.
    He has pleaded guilty at an early stage and reduced court/garda time dealing with this case.

Are you championing a prison sentence for this man on nothing more than a dislike of the look of the cigarette he is smoking?

I'd watch Judge Judy on the telly. They should try start an Irish one.

• Advertisement

It doesn't.
    At all.
    Probably a rollie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

A blunt is a hollowed out cigar filled with weed. You need to be more up on your slang!

joeguevara wrote: »
    A blunt is a hollowed out cigar filled with weed. You need to be more up on your slang!

Served as a 99 ice cream replacing the flake, thus thwarting the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

There are so many examples of how bad the system has gotten.

This isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The real entertaining court reports are found in the regional newspapers.

Phoenix magazine regularly highlight the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It could be alright, given the sentence he just got there is a strong chance it's not. Not that I care to much for this case, I just found it funny in a sense that, if it is a blunt he brought it with him to a case about drugs.

Jeez, you really believe in guilty until proven innocent, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

It's a roly.

Advertisement