Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post office 10 year national solidarity bond

Options
  • 02-05-2017 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

16% tax free and 1.5% aer. If I invest 1000, my approx return is 160 after 10 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Lostinlife wrote: »
    16% tax free and 1.5% aer. If I invest 1000, my approx return is 160 after 10 years?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Does that even come close to beating inflation? Why would someone invest in this? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Does that even come close to beating inflation? Why would someone invest in this? Genuine question

We won't know what inflation will be for the 10 years.
    Inflation is different for everyone anyway.
    Its important to have savings in life and many people like reasonable security. This security comes with a low return.
    It also offers the opportunity to withdraw if needed, of course this affects the interest rate you get.

Most important point, better to save even at low rates than waste it on something not really needed.

There are options to invest in similar products with shorter periods but lower returns.

Any debt should be paid down first though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any debt should be paid down first though.

That is it. Much better to pay off a mortgage than make that investment. Alternatively paying the cash into a pension pot would be alot more lucrative.

I understand that everyones needs are different but the yield on this investment seem way too low for me (although I assume it is tax free after 10 years which improves the comparative yield somewhat).

• Advertisement
Advertisement